Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Bummed Out...
10-13-2004, 05:45 PM
Sorry, but this is just my rant. I know my standards are too high, or off, but I guess I am REALLY off.

I've been looking for an E30 M3 since 2001, and aggressively since January 04. With no luck.

Here is what I am looking for. The M3 will not be a track car, nor daily driver, but it will be driven. :)

Low mileage example - prefer 50K or less.
Color not crucial, but prefer Henna, or Alpine with black interior.
1 Owner preferred, but more enthusiast owners are ok too. ;)
Complete service records from day 1.
No track use - I am paranoid about that.
Maint. performed and not just left as the car has low mileage (e.g., found one 88 M3 with 25K miles with only 5 oil changes and no services done) -- wear parts replaced etc...
No accidents, complete and accurate VIN plates
No repaints
No mods
No rust
Solid interior...

I have found a few out there, in the $20-25K range, but these have either sold before I got to them, have interesting histories to them, or the seller has decided to keep them...I can't see going over $25K, when the market supports 20-25 for perfect low mileage examples.

I look here, autotrader, roundell, local clubs, a few of the known M3 shops...

No luck...argh.

I know pipe dream...thanks for listening...I'll go back to my corner and read about your cars. :)

:: Mick ::
10-13-2004, 09:29 PM
A few good ones have come and gone in that timeframe

http://www.s14.net/forums/

bmhappy
10-13-2004, 10:00 PM

pt///m3
10-14-2004, 03:18 PM
But that is a little too exteme, I want to be able to drive the M3. That one is a collector car. :)

Not to mention I've seen some with 20-30K miles for 25K.

bmhappy
10-14-2004, 08:34 PM
availible my best one is bone/all original parts with 65k i thought that was good maybe i should start looking again lol
my wife would positivly s@#$

Bummed Out...
10-14-2004, 09:32 PM

Rex Tener
10-15-2004, 01:06 AM
I looked in 1993-1994 and again the first half of 2004 with the same results you had.

I am finding the same problem with '95 M3's right now too.

Sigh.

Rex

RoyW
10-15-2004, 07:19 AM
Your qualifications are too high... the car you describe may exist, but the odds of you finding it, and finding it in time (before someone else buy it) are very, very small. I suggest you find a well maintained example, with many of the attributes you'd like, but clearly not all, and enjoy driving that great car.... instead of dreaming about the perfect car. The more time that passes the less chance you'll have to get your "dream car", so act now and start driving one of the best BMWs ever made.

C///MR
10-15-2004, 10:07 AM
a car that is never driven may have more issues than one than has. It would be a waste to have one of these M's just to let it sit and dry rot in your garage. What is your plan with it anyway? As an investment (collector car) I think it would be a long time before you would make any profits on it.
JMHO, Chris

bmhappy
10-15-2004, 10:16 PM
your not looking for informally for sale high miles setup for driving schools not a daily driver

WH
10-16-2004, 12:19 PM
As soon as you start increasing the "requirements" of finding what you want... you limit yourself to few if any possibilities.

Finding a car that hasn't been "tracked"? How can you ever be sure of this? Impossible, unless you believe the current owner!

Complete maintance? Again most BMW owners rarely visit the dealership for every maintance item after the warranty period is over, not realistic to go into the dealership to have the oil changed on a low mile car (typically you change the oil once/yr no matter what)... just do it yourself.... this would put a car out of contention especially if he didn't keep that oil filter reciept!

No accidents? Mods? re-paints or anything else? God for a 17 year old car... accidents do happen. Just a ding or scratch in a parking lot would put a car out of contention.

What you want doesn't exist.... unless you want a time capsule or a non driven car sitting in a garage it's whole life. Chances are you won't find one for $25K or under... because the owner has stored this car with the simple intention of getting MORE for it!

Give it up. Buy a nice driver and be done with it. If you're a collector, buck up and buy that $35K one in the Roundel that lived in a bubble it's whole life. Then don't drive it... let it sit in your living room to admire... then hopefully 5-10 years down the road you can sell it for the same or more $ (probably a fat chance of that... as the market for non driven BMW's is very small).

Personally I think it's a waste of a perfectly good car.

WH

WH
10-16-2004, 12:21 PM
Really? I have a friend with a 95 M3 under 20K miles from new, original owner.... wants like $28K for it.

WH

Rex Tener
10-17-2004, 01:12 AM
Thanks,

Rex

JP
10-17-2004, 10:11 AM

BAMMER
10-18-2004, 05:20 PM
Dude, there ARE cars out there, good ones, even with your criteria.

You mentioned Trader. They had a couple of cars --- a Texas car with 70k, and the New Jersey car with 25K (?) --- both of which sound choice. Have you called and gotten the story? Call 'em and et something going! If the vehicle sounds good, either ask the Seller to get the car to a Dealer (or local 'expert') and have the car inspected. Or get on a plane and check it out YOURSELF!

If you're waiting for a car to turn up, well . . . that's like waiting for a woman to ask YOU out. You gotta go out there and GET ONE!. Okay, so you blow a few bucks checking out trash (I took a trip to South Carolina a while back --- total waste of time --- but at least I found out BEFORE I bought it!) Buying any used car is scary. Buying a used M3 --- after 15 years of somebody else playing with it --- is REAL scary. So what! GET OVER IT!

If you're looking for sympathy here, Man, you'll get it. But it won't get you a car, will it?

So buck up! Quit your crying . . . and start looking. No --- make that HUNTING. Make it a MISSION, not just some half-*ss week-end project you whine about to us. GET A FRICKIN' CAR.

(Whew!) I don't mean too be harsh, but, both of my cars came after some serious effort, and no small amount of time, effort and money. It can be done. DO IT!

Now I'm all fired up again. Where's that 'Land-o-Lakes' car again?

Good Luck . . . no kidding.

bmhappy
10-18-2004, 08:18 PM

///Mous3
10-20-2004, 12:55 AM

Bummed Out...
10-20-2004, 12:26 PM
I checked into both of those M3s...The NJ one the guy vanished (again).

I agree with your points. Except about that I'm not looking... I spend so much time looking its considered a sick hobby by others! And even traveled to see a few...

:)

Bummed Out...
10-20-2004, 12:30 PM
Hi,

Good points...Just one thought on the Complete maint. No way am I saying it needs to be done by a BMW dealer. Receipts, maint logs, some way to show the car was taken care of.

You can tell if a car has been heavily tracked -- dimples in specific places, stressed parts/paint in others...But agree its a trust thing.

And 100% agree on it being a waste of a car to sit in the garage (or livingroom). This is not a 1967 427/435 Vette convert we are talking about. Besides, cars are not investments. :)

Bummed Out...
10-20-2004, 12:36 PM
Just some other thoughts.

I agree, buying an E30 M3 is not an investment move. No way would I want to do that. Just looking for one as close to new - I couldn't buy a new one when they were new, so I want as close to that as possible.

A lot of my search comes down to trusting the owner of the M3...the fewer the owners the fewer folks I need to trust to have taken care of the car. The more receipts and less repair work the less doubt.

For example, a three owner car with 85K miles with a repaited rear quarter...Was the rear quarter replaced due to rust, an accident, or faded paint? :)

Like I said before, I know I am being too picky, and spending too much time looking... And my post and the ones I read are getting me over my "issues!!!"

Thanks again for your thoughts and candid feedback!

BAMMER
10-21-2004, 07:51 PM
I understand. You can only do what you can do . . . and one'll just turn up.

But you gotta be ready, too. Motivated. Money ready.

Let me tell you about my second e30 M3. After going through what you're going through (flakey sellers, creepy cars, phone calls, plane trips, etc), my wife was jogging one morning and finds an M3 with 34k miles on it --- less than a mile from our house! As for condition . . . well the miles were correct, but what a p-o-s: decent paint but three out of four corners hit, both bumpers bumped, warped rotors, rough idle, crunchy leather, no service history. But? Mechanically, everything was serviceable.

So? I bought the rat! Brought the services current, flushed all the fluids, then fixed all the little nickle-and-dime stuff, got her running. Then I did all the suspension stuff (KONIs, Eibach Pro-Line, beefed-up sub-frames, ST bars, 17s --- the works). Forget about original; this car's my hot rod. How's it run? Last summer, I took her from SoCal up to Fairbanks on the Trans-Alaska Hi-way; 8500 miles. Solo.

Mileage is up to 74000 now. She's still not the shiniest M3 you'll see --- cleaning up the body-work is next --- but she's a runner!

Anyway, like I said --- do what you can do. Just keep in mind --- M3s are tough cars. My advice is not to look for some museum piece that your sweat over every scratch. Find a good, sound car, then buy it --- and put her to work. It sure beats sitting around looking!

Good luck.

Papiyon
10-26-2004, 02:36 AM
miles. One of the cars is in Mexico City and another one is in the USA. Look on that site.

TeamZ4
10-26-2004, 03:00 AM
low mileage Henna (http://www.roadfly.org/bmw/classifieds/cars/detview.php?view=27552&sortby=&dir=)

TeamZ4
10-26-2004, 03:04 AM
owner claims virgin M3 (http://www.roadfly.org/bmw/classifieds/cars/detview.php?view=26454&sortby=&dir=) :p

M3Solo2
10-26-2004, 12:19 PM
I hear ya about trusting the seller, and that is important, but by your standards, my car wouldn't pass the test, neither would several other cars I know, all of which are great drives and rides. I wouldn't miss driving my car for anything over the areas where there are discrepancies in what you want:

N Low mileage example, <50K - mine's 53K
Y Color - mine's Alpine with black interior.
N 1 Owner preferred - 2 owners (I'm #2)
Y Complete service records from day 1 - yep
N No track use - No, car has seen a half dozen autox and 3-4 driving schools.
Y Maint. performed - yep, and then some preventive.
N No accidents - nope minor rear end work, bumper repaint, complete - yep and accurate VIN plates - yep
N No repaints - nope, minor rear end work, front bumper
N No mods - no: chip, cam gear, evo parts, misc. upgraded wear parts - bushings, mounts, etc.
N No rust - nope, small bit of surface rust in rear side window - common
Y Solid interior... - yep, best interior I have seen.

I think you need to relax your criteria a bit, or you may be chasing an endangered species and/or dropping a ton of dough on a 15 year old car, and miss completely the joy of driving it. My only piece of advice is:

DO NOT MISS OUT ON OWNING AND DRIVING ONE OF THESE CARS

You need to take one each on its own merits.
Good luck.

Bummed Out...
10-27-2004, 07:12 PM

jeeperbimmer
10-30-2004, 08:08 PM
Just as good a car less money 188hp engine

W///MD
10-31-2004, 01:50 PM

jeeperbimmer
10-31-2004, 02:12 PM
Its faster than the M3 at climbing dirt roads. 1998 wrangler, 4.0,sport,5sp,teraflex 3 inch lift,rancho 9000s shocks,alum wheels,33inch tires. $15,000 and its yours ooo and its gunmetal blue with black rag top.

jeeperbimmer
11-01-2004, 12:51 AM
Your not a buyer lol!

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index