Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

catfan
11-04-2004, 05:29 PM
I'm comtemplating getting a used 2004 X350 and have a couple questions. First, are they now "50 state" cars with no additional emission controls for California, and, second, has anyone tried retrofitting the factory xenon headlights to an X350 that did not originally have them? Thanks.

RHankey
11-05-2004, 08:16 AM
Yes they are 50 state, as I believe virtually all current US destined cars are.

If you're after xenon lights, I'd suggest getting one that came from the factory with them, as it's likely a heck of a lot less costly and risk free than trying to retrofit them after the fact. To retrofit them, you'd be looking at minimally new headlight assemblies, bulbs, ballasts, ride height sensors, potential writing harness additions/changes, plus all the labour to make the change.

Real Tech
11-20-2004, 12:46 PM
You'd be much better off finding a car with the xenon package. In addition to Mr. Hankeys list you would also need the module and you would need to have the cars modules reprogrammed to recognize the xenon option. The cost would be in the thousands unless you had a donor car at the junk yard that you could take all of the parts from but even then I doubt that the junk yard would be giving the parts away, you could expect to pay somewhere between 60 to 75% of the new retail cost.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index