Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

mechew
11-25-2004, 07:04 AM
what is the deal with the fuel gauge some times going up and down and then sometimes not weeks at a time help

pete
08-13-2005, 03:45 PM
i'm having same problem did you figure anything out?

rich540i
09-03-2005, 09:33 PM
The fuel level sending units are a common problem for these cars. The bad news is there are two units for the right and left sides of the tank; a special wrench is required to remove the senders; and it is a pain to drain the gas. There is no good news.

sf3cats
10-21-2005, 02:24 PM
Had the same problem on my C280. Dealer changed the sending units in the tank and fixed the problem. Cause? A friend (Porsche car saleman) told me that bad gas corrodes the sending units. The owner of his dealership won't let the sales or service people fill the Porsches with Shell gas because of its additives. Shell may have fixed that now, but it was a problem when my sending units went out. I was using Shell gas exclusively because it was the closest station to my house. Now I only use Chevron (which is the gas used at my friend's dealership). If the owner of a Porsche dealership thinks it's the best gas, that's good enough for me. I had a CLK and its sending units went out at about the same time...probably the same cause. No problems with either car since switching to Chevron. R.Alsatian

Philippe
07-14-2006, 01:51 PM
Best way to replace sending unit for fuel

Chemikal
01-30-2007, 06:36 PM
OK this cost me alot of money to put right so read carefully. I might save you some. First of all dont panic, it's not a major issue, It's the feul senders (when you see this thing you will wonder where mercedes quality went after the last 190e was built) Your guage rises and falls like a yoyo and then most of the time gives you a suspect reading. The elctronic potentiometer on the sender is gone or there is a dirt build up on it. (cheap way is to clean the dirt, this is what the shell optimax, some readers advise you buy will do, but for how long?) There are 2 senders in the car, cause some prat split the feul tank into 2 halfs. You may need to change both to stay on the safe side. However if you have the time you can find out the faulty one. you need to drain the tank then change them. Disconect the battery first. The upgraded parts should have gold contacts. (cost about 150 in uk, the Merc stealership is a bit more) the old ones have silver contacts. The feul sender/guage circuitry is very basic and does not go through the car's computer unit so don't go messing with it, cause you will have to pay to reset it if you get it wrong. The M class and some of the 90s s class suffer the same problem. Sort it out Mercedes we pay alot to drive these things. You will loose us to BMW if you keep compromising on the quality. You've now got me considering the BMW 5 series

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index