Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

View Full Version : Horn Tone Switch

11-30-2004, 05:02 AM
Does anyone have an MB with the horn tone switch? How does is work? How many horns does a car with this system actally have? Where can I buy the other horns? Wiring diagram?

11-30-2004, 06:15 AM
ALL Mercedes ,

ALL Mercedes came with 2-horns .

unlike Volvo, VW, BMW, and other cars ,

in all W123 bodies , they are mounted down low
to the sides of the radiator, one on each side behind the bottom grill. look from the oil pan forword

Available from any dealer of 100's of online BENS parts vendors

01-07-2005, 12:06 AM
Not exactly, what I am refering to is a panel switch that apparently allows you to switch between two sets of horns on the car, one set loud, one set normal (I guess). I bought the switch on ebay and am trying to getting a wiring harness through the M-B dealer to fit. It sounds like a nifty option, one that I have never heard of before...any idea which model/year this option was available...and what did they use for the loud horns?

If I can get a proper wiring harness, I am thinking about mounting the switch in the center shifter console in my 240D with manual would fit neatly next to my hazard switch.

01-07-2005, 06:28 AM
way back about 1974 , 5 ? on some USA models , there WAS a "City" horn switch which cut off the 2-main loud 'country /highway horns'
and a 3rd' quiet tone "City" horn was sounded - because of a new Anti-Noise law in New York City banning horn blowing and un-neccesary noise emissions. It was a flat 2-way switch , like a window switch if I remember correctly. I'll do some research and come back some day.

05-11-2005, 08:44 PM
id like to know about this also...

i heard a merc beep its horn, and it was a real synthetic soft low sound (never ever heard such a smooth tone, like polyphonic)

and i liked it, all i know was the car was definately AMG (sen sticker) it had dual twin exhasts - and was 500 or 55, definately 5 in the back

had sound of a v8, and alot of power cos it shot off after it done that

this was in liverpool uk england, and the car had to be 2004.

write back and let me know, cos this city horn may be what im after.

but mercedes dealer (parts) only quote haveing two horns, low and high tones.

[email protected]

05-12-2005, 12:05 PM
I have a gray (european)market 1983 230E with the horn tone switch. The switch is located on the center dash next to the rear dome light switch. It is a two position switch. Setting one is the standard W123 horn tone, the other setting is lower in frequency and lower in decibels, I am not sure if the lower frequency is from a third distinct horn or if is simply using one of the standard two horns instead of both together. I will take a look at my owners manual soon for more information.

05-20-2005, 05:05 PM
Jriney: Me too! yeah, I also have that "Fan Fare Horn" option on my Euro-version 300TD turbodiesel wagon. But lately my horn (both hi & low, with switch on or off) do not work. I checked the fuse box and the fuses were all good. When I try to beep my horn (from the steering wheel) - no sound at all even witht he fanfare horn switch on/off. Any ideas or suggestions to troubleshoot this? It worked fine before... Help please. Danke.

05-20-2005, 05:07 PM
Oops. Typo on the link - corrected now below. Cheers!

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index