Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

steveb
12-18-2004, 11:42 AM
I bought the wagon this summer. My wife took it out this week in icy weather (Boston), and she was not happy with the traction (it was a bad day, lots of accidents). Should I get a winter tire package for the car? I have a separate wheel/tire set for my BMW (rear wheel) but I was hoping the 4-matic and all weather tires would do it.

JamesS3
12-20-2004, 10:34 PM
means "not much good at anything". Dedicated snow tires, like Dunlop Sport M2 or M3 tires, will help you stop, turn and brake far better. AWD does little for this by itself. The tire rack has some excellent products at good prices.

GregS_WI
12-22-2004, 09:46 AM
I really buy into that commercial that points out the only part of your car in contact with the road is your tires. I run snows on my year-round cars and am partial to Nokian's (http://www.nokiantyre.com/). While I haven't seen mileage comparisons I feel the siped designed of the Nokians will out last designs like the Blizzaks (sp?) that use the rubber compounds deterioration to gain traction. Very smooth ride on my car's winter tires (Hakkapelitta 2) but you may be able to go with less of a 'pure' winter tire (like the WR or NRW). I live in northern Wisconsin where winter is, well, trying. Also, you can then buy dedicated summer tires for better rain traction and/or a quiet ride and get better performance year round.

Good luck.

GregS_WI
(visiting from the Z3 board -- considering an E)

steveb
12-22-2004, 07:24 PM
Thanks Greg,

I did some checking around and hear nothing but the best on the Hakkapelitta 2's, thanks. TireRack doesn't sell them, so I called my local tire dealer. He doesn't think the Hakki's are H rated, but he'll check and get back to me - I'm sure they will be fine.

I wanted to get wheels too, but this dealer gives you free change overs each season and promises that they are kind to the alloy wheels.

He wanted almost $1K for the MB OEM wheels....

gregs_wi
12-23-2004, 01:44 PM
Steve: good luck on your tire search. Each time I've bought winter tires people look at me like I'm nuts. I'm 100% sold on having them, but I guess I'm the minority here.

If I can bug you for some info though. What are your impressions of the E320 4matic wagon? Good and bad. We're looking at this model but it is a bit of stretch for us ($$$-wise) so it makes us nervous. We really want to do a European delivery. After the NAV system fiasco I haven't heard much about the new Es.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

GregS_WI

steveb
12-27-2004, 02:16 PM
I bought the Hakka's and wheels at the Tire Factory (like Tire Rack, but they sell nokian tires). We got dumped with snow this weekend, I hope they show up soon.

We had a Van and the kids are older, so I wanted something different. I didn't want to spend the bucks on a really expensive car, so I started looking at Nissan's and Volvos. The car I drive is a BMW, so I didn't like any of these cars, so I went back to my dealer. He sells both BMW and MB, so he put me in the wagon and liked it instantly. I told him to find me one for around $30K. He found a 2000 with 30K miles, my wife only puts 10K a year on the car. So it cost me about the same as a new Volvo wagon but there is no comparison.

My son goes to school in Philly, we drove in a monsoon from Boston this fall, and the car was fantastic. There was a sudden pile-up on the highway and the car went from 70 to 20 mph in a moment, steering was excellent, even though the road conditions were horrible.

It's fun to drive, safe as can be. We're really happy with it. Check out a StarMark - it's the first used car I ever bought and I'm happy I saved the money.

gregs_wi
12-28-2004, 12:34 PM

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index