Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Loren
12-29-2004, 12:57 PM
My husband gave me a remote starting system for Christmas. Circuit City, where he bought it, won't install it because it is a manual transmission. Is there a remote starting devise that I can use? Do you sell one and install it or is it not possible on any manual transmission? Thanks.

MINI_Mike
12-29-2004, 03:19 PM
In many states, it is illegal to install a remote starter on vehicles equiped with manual transmissions. If the car was left in gear and the start button was accidentally pushed, serious property damage or death could occur. This is why vehicles are equipped with clutch start switches. Remember, you are not always going to be the one driving your car. For example, when you bring in your car for service, a porter has to park it initally, then the tech has to bring it into the service bay. It could be moved several time in between or after. Usually when a porter or tech is looking for a car, they will hit the remote buttons on the key or alarm to more easily find the car (lights flash, horn sounds). We have actully had an instance where a porter was going to move a car. The car had a manual trans and, unknown to us, a remote starter. The porter thought the fob attached to the keys was an alarm button. You can probably guess the outcome of the situation. Two cars in the body shop. We were lucky that no one was in the area and hit by the runaway car. I would bring back the remote starter to CC and use it as a down payment on a a big screen plasma TV. Remember, the Super Bowl is less than two months away!!!

MINI_Mike

Loren
12-29-2004, 07:15 PM
I'm disappointed but thanks for the heads up. =-(

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index