Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Lutz
01-10-2005, 08:00 PM
I drive a W123 300TD and as of last weekend it has trouble shifting up. It is an automatic with 203,000 miles on the engine - practically brand new! First it shifted back and forth between the 3rd and 4th gear and now it does it from 1st to 2nd to 3rd, too. I checked the transmission oil and it is below the point where it should be. Should I add transmission fluid or is it a waste since I am going to get a mechanic to look at it in a few days????? ANY ADVICE IS APRECIATED!
I would love to keep the car since it has so far brought nothing but joy - but everything has a price.

C.D.iesel
01-15-2005, 08:28 PM
.... what did your technician say ?
http://www.roadfly.org/mercedes-benz/gallery/photos/photos-01-2005/15-9301476.JPG

drtelco
01-20-2005, 02:17 PM
Not familiar with Mercedes, I just purchased a 81 300D a few months back. The original owner sold the vehicle because of the same type of shifting problem. I bought the vehicle believing I had a major transmission problem. In fact the only problem was with a vacumm line module controlling shifts to the transmission. I replace the module myself for under $100.00 my Mercedes shifts great and runs fantastic. Hopes this help....Joseph...

Lutz
02-15-2005, 06:23 PM
Sorry it took me so long to get back. The problem is fixed and it was cheap. Turns out those German engineers put an oil dip stick in for a reason. Check it once in a while and if the oil is not at the level it should be top it off. No more slipping transmission!
However, now my 3 year old Bear Radiator leaks. This one will not be such a cheap fix.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index