Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : Valet Mode

Kevjones
01-14-2005, 09:19 PM
I'm a newby, just bought 98XJ with only one key and now remote keyfobs, Yhe Valet mode has locked me out of the trunk, what can I do?

RHankey
01-17-2005, 08:25 AM
If you have only a green key, then I don't think you need to get a black key cut using your green key as a reference before you will be able to get into the trunk. If you have a black key, then ought to be able to open the trunk with the trunk release button on the dash (assuming you deactivate the valet mode) or by using the key in the trunk tumbler. You may need to squirt some penetrating oil into the trunk tumbler as they often sieze up from infrequent use.

The above is applicable to 2004 and newer XJ's. You might want to post the question to the XJ8/XJR list which is geared towards your model year.

Kevin Jones
01-17-2005, 08:55 PM
Thank you, I studied all the threads and got educated. I do have a black key only and no no manual. I'm getting the 60K service done tomorrow, and I suspect the tensioners are bad so I plan to have them changed rather than hold my breath.

RHankey
01-18-2005, 08:33 AM
With the black key, theoretically (assuming similar functionality to the an '04) I think you ought to be able to open the trunk by pressing the trunk release button on the dash or by pressing the trunk release button on the trunk after unlocking all doors with the interior door lock switch. Both these methods are electronic releases which assume the wiring to the trunk has not been damaged. As I mentioned, it may take some liberal use of penetrating oil, soaking time, and wiggling with the key to free up the trunk tumbler. The trunk lock is a mechanical release.

The water pump and thermostat are other well known weak points that you mgiht want to have checked (or replaced) while the front of your engine is taken apart for tensioners - our Al engines don't take kindly to overheating. Good luck.

Kevjones
01-19-2005, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the Advice, I do appreciate this forum and the information that is exchanged. Yes My Black / tan 98XJ with 63K miles had a broken left tensioner and the right was loose. I've only had the car since last Thursday (150 miles driven)and I didn't like the sound I was hearing on start up. The lot I bought it off of said the Jag dealer told him need to get the engine oil pumping to the upper parts of the engine to quiet down (Righttttt!).
Anyway the car is in incredibly great condition and the interior looks new!, I only paid 13K for it and knowing what I know now I would have paid a few thousand more for a 98 with new tensioners and throttle body. Now I can let my wife drive it and not worry about how she starts it or if she is hearing funny noises. I'm sorry for those that have not been as fortunate as I believe I am, but as my day used to say (forwarned is forarmed).

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index