Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

RWinNJ
01-19-2005, 12:54 AM
Greetings,

I am a new owner of a 1984 380SL (73,000 miles, black ext + tan int)

It's a toy not a collecter piece, and I am not satisfied with the front speaker choices (replaced them with 4" Focals and powered them with a Memphis Mclass amp)

I have seen pictures of 6.5" speakers in the rear side panels, and Crutchfield claims 6x9 speakers will fit.

Can anyone confirm experience with such an installation?

C.D.
01-20-2005, 06:30 AM
not in the sides - no room and the metal structure is solid

but in the bottom rear deck floor panels - where a jump seat would go

RWinNJ
01-21-2005, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the input. I have received wrong info then and you saved me from acting on it.

The space under the jumpseat looks like my only possible subwoofer space...my real hope has been to get a set of midwoofs up in front of the driver- so now, I am left considering cutting a set of Infinity Perfects into the doors...(apologies to purists!)

I have heard that a company in Germany makes such a door panel that looks stock yet will accomodate 6" speakers in front of the driver. do you or does anyone know of a manufacturer of door panels that fmight work??

Grey.Coupe
01-23-2005, 04:29 AM
Do you know the wattages and output impedances of stock stereo? Seems to me if factory speakers are easily replaceable, the most sound improvement for the least brain damage would come from this approach.

If the stock stereo is straightforward, not strange impedances, sizes and wierd powering configurations, the best way to gain improvement without departing the stock "look" would be to simply replace the factory speakers. Anyone out there tried this with success? Please share recommended do's and don'ts.

Thanks.

deemac
01-23-2005, 10:50 AM
I replaced the front dash speakers a few weeks ago, with suggestions from board members (see posts below). I did replace existing 4" with 3.5" coax, and there is some impovement in sound (without compromising the original looks).
'

Grey.Coupe
01-23-2005, 11:25 AM
Thanks.

I sifted through posts, and tried to search the archives for this, too, and didn't find anything. Did you feel the sound improvement was worth the hassle and expense?

deemac
01-24-2005, 09:55 AM
The only expense is the cost of replacement speakers. The removal of old speakers was relatively easy (1984 380SL), the dash speaker covers come of, after unscrewing two small screws at the very bottom of the cover and gently pulling down and towards the seat to release two holding clips in the middle of the cover. The old speakers screw off and lift out of enclosure. The improvement is worth the cost.

Petrol
01-24-2005, 11:33 AM
Why don't you try

Petrol
01-24-2005, 12:03 PM
I wanted to say is...
Why don't you try the custom speaker system of "Performance Products"?
Part number #6138. It is designed to fit every R107SLs. Special made enclosure with color-matched carpet, two 8"subwoofers and two dash speakers are included. I tried this speakers system and additional power amp for driving subwoofers. Now I'm enjoying great sound!

Grey.Coupe
01-25-2005, 09:07 AM
Well, I have heard those sound really good. And perhaps I'll go that way.

My thought was to keep the car as close to pure stock as I can, using the Becker radio/cassette unit and replacing the stock speakers within their original enclosures. If I can get to better sound and keeping the car looking original, that's my goal.

Thanks all, for your help. I wanted an 88-89 when they came out, and ended up in a 300CE-24. Well, at least it was a two-door. It's nice to be back in a Benz.

RWinNJ
02-04-2005, 02:22 AM
Thanks for running this thread- I acted prior to seeing the rear lid suggestion.

I have:

A Becker made Traffic Pro in Dash. While not original, it is Becker and I LOVE having NAV handy.

4" Focals fit behind the dash panels. 75W Memphis Mclass AB Amp under front seat powers them.

Bought 6.5 inch Infinity Perfect speakers- I hate this part, but I am installing them in the doors...to get the sound + voice stage in front. Have spare set of nice door panels for changeback if ever needed. These are powered by 150W Memphis Mclass AB in trunk.

Bought Genesis 6x9 Subwoofers. Made for BMW mini in England. Powered by Diamond 135W amp. No one will like this...but...I cut 6x9 holes into the convertible panel behind the seats. I am using 2.5 inch extenders, and the "open air" chamber or the convertible storage area for the open air needs of these subs. If you have not seen Genesis 6x9 subs, they are close to the surface area of 8" subs but fit far this car better without losing the storage under rear panel. They are very well regarded and were heck to find. a link to their amps: http://www.autotomorrow.com/wl.ga/v-articl.r?IART=1256&IFILE=genesis-art.txt

I bought this car to use it, not as a collector. It has 74K only and I figure I'll put 4-5K per year and store it each winter. Sound on highway is important. Thanks for the help-

Grey.Coupe
02-13-2005, 09:03 AM
I was told, but haven't been able to substantiate that the stock Becker radio output wattage is low 2X25 watts and stock speaker impedances are 4 ohms, if that is helpful for anyone.

nobby
04-25-2005, 10:11 PM
I put 2 four inch Pioneer speakers in the dash powered by a Pioneer Premier deck and 2 JBL 6 x 9 speakers flush mounted on a new rear deck manufactured out of MDF and cover in carpet. I mounted a Crossfire Amp in the trunk on an MDF panel that replaces the panel covering the jack/tools. The amp drives the 6 x 9 's. Sounds great and no damage to the original panels which are now in storge with the hard top.
Nobby

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index