Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

rineyja
01-21-2005, 01:06 PM
I just purchased a 1983 230E 4sp manual 115k orig miles, zero rust southern car. One problem though, none of the dash or gauge lights work. My first inclination is to check the Dash rheostat (dimmer), any other suggestions if this doesn't work? Also, any advice on removing the gage panel to get to the rheostat. Thanks.

C.D.iesel
01-21-2005, 11:39 PM
to remove the gauge cluster you begin by removing the lower dash panel
- above the brake pedal - open the hood and un-tie wrap the speedo cable near the oil filter housing so the cluster can pull forword with some slack in the cable - place a pad at the base of the steering column because the back side of the cluster will dig into the dashboard pad - 10mm open end wrench is needed to loosen the oil pressure feed line on the left side of the cluster - unplug the big electrical plug on the back of the cluster - reach behind and unscrew the speedo cable - remove cluster- replace all the cluster bulbs while you have it out (get the correct bulbs from any M-B
dealer ).........DO NOT START THE CAR WITH THE CLUSTER REMOVED !!!

HIGH PRESSURE OIL WILL SPRAY ALL OVER THE INTERIOR FROM THE LOOSE OIL PRESSURE LINE - DANGER -

rineyja
01-24-2005, 10:43 AM
Thanks C.D.iesel. I did it this weekend with the help of a repair manual and a friend. It was the rheostat (dimmer) that was the source of the problem. The rheostat was significantly corroded and just need a thurough cleaning.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index