Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Nelson
01-22-2005, 10:32 PM
Hey everyone:) Got a question on my 64 mercedes 220s...cant find a good message board for this particular model. I am getting the car back on the road and installed 2 new calipers in the front and new pads and new brake fluid to freshen up the brakes. The problem Im having is it is almost impossible to push the brake pedal down??I have to step on it with both feet and push as hard as I can. On the firewall there is only the master cylinder..2 lines run into a large round cylinder behind the drivers side headlights. One line goes into the side and the other comes out the bottom. There is a large rubber hose that goes into the top of the cylinder that supplies vacuum from the engine. Im thinking this is the only component that can be the factor for the problem Im getting. Anyone know what Im talking about? Thank You in advance for all the help!! :)Nel

SLdouble
02-07-2005, 02:36 AM

euromeccanicany
11-08-2005, 10:26 AM
You have a remote brake booster. It isn't working. This is why your brake pedal is so hard (I assume you have some brakes- if you don't you may have a master cylinder problem). You have two options: have the booster rebuilt, which will be pricy, or replace it. I don't know if new original boosters are available and I wouldn't trust a used one, as they corrode internally from sitting around with moisture and brake fluid inside. There are single-circuit (one line out of the master cylinder which is what you have) boosters out there which are universal. You can contact me off-list if you want more detail. (914)668-1300Michael Shiffer
EuroMeccanica, Inc.
Mount Vernon, NY

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index