Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

540AngelCity
02-04-2005, 11:09 PM
Here in Sunny LA, I can pick up a 1995 Coupe S600 for around 18K,,with 80K miles...
Anything to look for in that year. My mechanic says seals might go
at 100K. Any opinions?
Thanks!

mwrench
02-07-2005, 09:59 PM
I got one for a deal that I couldn't refuse, 60K miles, here is what hhas been done so far.

1. replaced both accumulators for the rear suspension. 2 hours and $180 for parts, messy job!leaky rear shock but hope that will settle down now that the accumulators have been replaced.
2. replaced spark plug resistors, caps and rotors, done under PO warranty.
3. SRS light coming on but going off, need to get SRS reset.
4. Thermostat, engine was running very cold and high fuel consumption.
5. rough idle, cause not found, vacuum leak suspected.

Will be replacing all engine hoses (vacuum and coolant) and plastic coolant parts later this spring as I have been warned these things go about 10 years. I do all the maintainance but am in need of a code reader reset tool for reasonable $$

Fast powerful car, it will walk away from an E34 M5, a friend (E34 that I maintain) had several spirited runs and he commented on how the beast pulls away at almost any speed.

I still prefer BMW road feel!

HTH
Ed
MWrench

JohnG
03-23-2005, 06:07 PM
His posts to the E34M5 mailing list about your car walking him on the highway have made me add the S600 to the list of cars I search the classifieds for! He's mentioned it in two seperate posts over the past month or so, you must be getting to him :-)

The only thing that bothers me is the nagging feeling that a W140 S600, even with the cheaper initial cost, will end up costing me more than a $30-35K 2000-2002 XJR, VDP S/C, E38, or W220 S class. I don't mind if it ends up costing the same as those newer cars, I just don't want it to cost more.

Unfortunately, I don't have the time or facilites to work on it myself, so I would be paying dealer or indy rates to keep it up. So far I've learned of the usual self leveling suspention maintenance, ADS automatic suspension damping problems that can be a bear to diagnose and make the car ride rough, vacum assist door closing issues, engine wiring harnesses breaking down(maybe exclusive to 1995 and older cars?), oil leaks, A/C evaporator issues, a t-fitting that fails and leaks all the coolant out requiring the intake manifold to come off to replace it, etc....

I think for me it may come down to finding an indy mechanic comfortable working on V12 cars.

mwrench
05-27-2005, 10:53 AM
We had a small run awhile back and he was VERY surprised how that V-12 pulled! Love torque! from 20 to ??? will pull Kevin's M5 quite easily.

YES, maintainence is/could be a pain. partd manual (DVD) is not user friendly, doesn't list all part just ones that an owner "might" change or has a history of failure.

At 60K miles already have replaced the suspension accumulators in the rear, PO replaced the sparkplug wires and sleeves, caps and rotors, and I have had a terrible experience with a failed fuel pressure regulator! No check engine light, just flames, yes fire, coming out of the right exhaust, the pressure regulator failed and allowed fuel to go into the right intake and the right bank was shut down allowing fuel to go back to the muffler where it was ignited by the left side heat. Again no check engine light, just a bit of stumbling with the throttle, drove for quite awhile until I was flagged down by someone telling me "Dude, you car is on fire!"

Still waiting on the oil analysis to see if any damage by washing down one side with fuel. Changed oil, regulator, and all seems well.

Ed
MWrench

gip
06-22-2005, 03:59 PM
Be on the look out for the wiring harness, these are notorious for going bad and it cost mega $$$$$$$$$ to replace. The A/C and suspension can cause a problem. I had one for 5 years and after the wiring harnesses went bad I had to get rid of it. Best car to ever have if you can afford the maintenance. Hope this helps...

Christian Ginet
07-17-2005, 01:41 AM
I own and drive the Blazer's and Chicago Bulls's Star,
Scottie Pippen's Mercedes S 600 coupe ( CL 600).Scottie Pippen bought it new during his heyday with the Chicago Bulls.
The car is a rare find for any sports fan, especially
Chicago Bulls fanatics!
The S 600 is so reliable and really fun to drive. You can get anything from 60 mph to 80 mph even a BMW M5!

My S 600 has only 50k miles and is a dream to drive.

Christian Ginet
07-17-2005, 01:43 AM
My car is a 1994 and was Scottie Pippen's car! No problem at all for a 50k miles and 1994 model.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index