Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : Temperature of an XKE

Rotorman007
02-09-2005, 08:00 PM
I have just got my 1970 roadster on the road and all seems good with only one problem. I have a question about overheating. After a run on the freeway, the temp gauge moves very close to the red. I have a series II and have hooked up the fans to stay on all the time. The timing has just been set to 6 degrees BTDC at idle. The voltage stabalizer is new, but I am not sure of the sender unit. Does anyone know whet the resistace should be at normal operating temp?

Thanks, Russell

1e11526
02-11-2005, 06:11 PM
I would see if an infared temperature sensor would help diagnose the problem to a faulty sensor or a bad core to the radiator, or a bad thermostat. A good one would be one from Raytek called the Raytek MT4U MiniTemp No-Contact Thermometer with Laser Sighting. They can be found on Amazon.com or any auto parts store for less than $100. You can tell if the radiator is blocked as there will be hot and cool spots on it. You can also tell if the block is a lot hotter than the radiator, etc.... These things are really good diagonostic tools that have come down in price substantially since they were first intoduced.

Best of luck.

MDH

wrischan
02-27-2009, 05:08 PM
Let me know what you find out ... I have the same problem; I think the gauge is off, so am thinking of putting the sensor in a temperature bath. An alternative is to measure the temperature at the radiator cap with a thermometer, but that could be a different temperature. What I'd really like is a resistance to temperature chart. Any one have one?
Bill

MotorMouth
02-14-2010, 03:50 PM
Its the most common problem with E's. Ive heard the radiators need to be in top shape and switching to plastic fans helps for some reason.

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index