Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Diesel_dynamo123
02-10-2005, 12:42 PM
I have a 1977 240D Mercedes body (4 speed manual Transmission) that I put a non-turbo 1981 300D (617.91) engine in and I've had starter problems almost every day. I've owned the car for three years and have gone through three starters. The problem is when I try to start the car 50% of the time my starter will not engage with the ringgear. That is to say you can hear the starter motor turning (freewheeling) but it does not catch the ringgear. When the starter does work my car starts very easily. The last starter I have tried has been the best so far (sounds strong, quick turnover and best looking out of the three) but it still does not work correctly. If anyone could give me some ideas I would be quite grateful for the help!!!

C.D.
02-12-2005, 08:56 PM
buy a NEW starter from Mercedes-Benz instead of a 'rebuild / exchange' starter .

And inspect the ring gear teeth "all the way around". any worn teeth will also cause your problem

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index