Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

MEREN
02-28-2005, 03:15 PM
Does any one know how the pre glow system functions on a 76 240d?
I know that you have to pull the starter lever wait and pull more to start? I just wonder if that round screen on top of the stirring column lights up too indicate that system is working, or do I have a burned light some were. I have problems starting in cold temperatures.
Does any one have diagrams on how the system is wired?
Thank you.
Alec.

dembooks
02-28-2005, 05:13 PM
THE glow INDICATOR SHOULD GLOW RED HOT AFTER HOLDING THE PULL/PRE-GLOW/CRANK KNOB OUT FOR APPROX. 10-30 SECS.

THE COLDER IT IS OUTSIDE - THE LONGER YOU SHOULD HOLD AND 'GLOW' BEFORE PULLING THE REST OF THE WAY OUT TO CRANK

MAX TIME IS ABOUT 30 SEC. GLOW FOR 30*f AND COLDER MORNING STARTS

USE A VOLT METER OUT AT THE GLOW PLUGS TO MEASURE VOLTAGE WHILE SOMEONE IS HOLDING THE KNOB INSIDE
#1 GLOW PLUG = APPROX BATT VOLTAGE - 12.5 V
#2 GLOW PLUG = 9 VOLTS
#3 GLOW PLUG = 6 VOLTS
# 4 GLOW PLUG = 3 VOLTS , AT THE REAR 0 VOLTS

YES - THIS TYPE OF WIRE LOOP GLOW PLUG CAN BE BURNED OUT FROM AGE, CARBON, BROKEN OR BURNED DEFUSER BALL INSIDE THE PRE-GLOW PRECHAMBER - MAJOR REPAIR REQUIRING SPECIAL TOOLS............

MEREN
02-28-2005, 07:15 PM
Thank you.
My indicator is not showing any glow.
By any chance do you have the diagram on how the system is wired; just trying to see maybe some lose connection some were?
Hard to do with out knowing how the system is weird.

CHAD HADDIX
03-17-2005, 05:20 PM
i own a '76 240d 4spd and i am a diesel mechanic.you should have a light on your dash. when you turn the ignition key wait for the light to go out then crank the engine. to test glow plugs take off all wires from plugs hook a test light to the pos. terminal of battery touch end of test light to end of glow plug. no light,bad plug.curent flows from the top of plug through plug to base of plug,to next plugs base, out the top and so on until the ground wire

CHAD HADDIX
03-17-2005, 05:27 PM
i do not have a diagram. there is a fuse strip on the fire wall that could be burned.follow wire from #4 glow plug where it connects to afuse block and test with a light

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index