Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

BMWDriver
03-14-2005, 09:22 AM
I currently have a 2002 745i........but just went through the worse winter in years in New England and have decided to move into an all-wheel drive car. Was first looking into SUVs but decided that I'm just not an SUV person.

I test drove the E500 4Matic and found it to be a pretty decent car. Can anyone comment on how well this car performs in the winter with the 4Matic system. The dealer says it's absolutely wonderful. I'm a 20 year vet of BMWs and am having a hard time pulling the trigger on the deal due to my loyalty to BMW and love of the 745. But I need a more reliable car in the winter.

Comments would be very appreciative. THANKS

JamesS3
03-14-2005, 10:18 PM
but still suggests snow tires. Std tires are all seasons, which basically means not good for much of anything. AWD does nothing for stopping, turning, etc in the snow.

tomaz
04-12-2005, 03:03 AM
I would prefer BMW not x5 but regular 5 series with awd system or an Audi A8 or A6! If you are a disel fan (like I am) then you should consider an 530xd - it should be on the market in september; or A6 3.0 TDI quattro! Of course it is difficoult to compare 745 and 530xd or A6 3.0 TDI, but you would be amazed what this cars are capable of.

If you are looking for a car in similar class/range as 745 then e-series is not an option. Than you should only look after Audi A8 and nothing else (in my opinion an amazing car)!

BTW MB e-series had many problems with electronics!

Kaptain
04-20-2005, 02:31 AM
BMW isn't without electronic problems.

http://www.wreckedexotics.com/newphotos/exotics/745_120050206_003.shtml

lexrex
09-14-2005, 11:02 AM
I have an E320 4Matic. The 4Matic is amazing in snow, especially with winter tires. Just remember that AWD only helps you accelerate. Cornering & braking are the same (or a little worse b/c of the extra weight). A good set of winter tires on a RWD car will work better than AWD.

Hemants
02-12-2006, 02:41 PM
A FWD car with good snow tires will be a better all round performer than any AWD with no-season (all season) tires.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index