Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

jimwdavis
03-22-2005, 03:12 PM
I am new to this forum and haven't had a chance to read too many of the posts but would like to say a few words about the new C-6 Vette. I took delivery of mine on October 30th, 2004. It is silver with the red and black interior. I have only made one modification which is a new third light assembly which replaces the flat black plastic piece with a full lens.

The original third light was about the only styling feature which I thought looked odd and this new third light really is a huge improvement. Also very easy to install.

I am looking at aftermarket wheels but so far haven't found anything that really excites me enough to buy them.

My car history includes a 1975 Mercedes SLC, 1983 Porsche 928-S, 1987 Porsche 928-S4, a couple of Pontiac Firebird TransAms, a 2002 C-5 Vette and a 2005 C-6 Vette. These were all new cars.

I also had a new 1984 Corvette but really disliked it as it was frankly not a very good car. The Vette had been loaned to me by G.M. for a special project and I actually had the car for a year but hardly ever drove it and maybe put 4,000 miles on it.

When I decided to get a new car in 2002 I was really at loose ends as to what to get. One of my friends suggested a C-5 Vette and I didn't want to hear it because of my experience with the 1987 model. He kept after me telling me what a huge improvement the new ones were over previous Vettes. Finally I drove one and was quite impressed so I got an Electron Blue 2002 model. I drove the car for three years and was very pleased with it. I never had any problems with the car and drove it pretty hard. So when the lease was up I ordered a C-6.

I thought the C-5 was a good car but quite frankly the C-6 is light years better. This frankly is probably the best car I have ever owned. The 1987 Porsche 928-S4 was the best car I ever had previously. I kept it for 8 years which is five years longer than any other car I have ever had. Whether my C-6 will hold up that well for that long I can't answer but right now I say this C-6 is the best car I have ever had.

Sure it has some things about it that I think could be improved. And that is what this post is actually about if you are still reading it this far along. The center console has sort of metallic gray/tan paint finish that is way too susceptible to scratching. Mine already has a number of marks in it that I don't even know how they got there. I hope somebody in the aftermarket comes up with a replacement part for this although I suspect it might be a real bear to replace it. Something made out of brushed stainless or carbon fiber would be good. If anybody knows of such a product, I would like to know about it.

The other thing that I think could be improved are the little metallic bezels that surround the interior door release push buttons. Somehow these things come off as cheap looking and again something made of brushed stainless or carbon fiber would be an improvement.

Other than that, I think the car is really one helluva bargain. It is a terric machine at any price but at around 50 grand nothing can touch it that I know of......

motordavid
03-22-2005, 04:40 PM
I've sat in several new C6s and driven one Very briefly: the new motor is a fooking monster. Your review of your new C6 is well written, imo. You might take a peek at CorvetteForum if you haven't been there yet: a plethora of info on C6s, et al.
Ejoying our C5 '02 Vert, and trying to resist the Jones for a C6,lol!
Maybe,in a year or two. Our '02 w/19K miles, has been basically glitch-free, remarkably. THE most fun car I've ever owned.
GL,mdDavid
In HillbillyHeaven @ 5K ft elev. overlooking Waynesville,NC
'01 X5 3.0 5Spd, Sport,etc. Tit.Silver
'02 VetteVert 6Spd Z51 suspension
'03 Honda CR-V (aka "theFridge" 4 TheMissus)
'87 Honda Hurricane 1000
'90 HD Heritage "Soft?"Tail
'94 Honda GW Aspencade
'75 HD Shovelhead (sitting in bro'n'law's garage)

jimwdavis
03-22-2005, 06:41 PM
Thanks for your comments. I did check out the Corvette Forum. I had posted in here previously that they didn't have a Forum for 2005 C-6's but I was mistaken. It is just a little harder to find than the earlier year forums.

I also found some replacement center console covers in Eckler's catalog. However they are available painted in the various body colors. So it is doubtful they would hold up much better than the stock one. They claim they are easy to install but kind of pricey....$394.99. It also includes a new painted bezel to go around the instrument cluster as well. I would have to see one before I would pop for $400......

I also enjoyed my 2002 C-5. I had the fastback coupe. I don't doubt you are happy with your convert. They are great cars.

Not to belabor the point but I was really amazed at the improvements made in the C-6. The car rides better, seems to be tighter, is a lot quieter, is obviously faster, has a better sound system, the seats are more comfortable, the design and lighting of the dash instruments is killer, has better brakes, yet it basically costs the same as the C-5. I guess I shouldn't be telling you this. *lol*

My only real complaint with my C-5 was road noise. Those big tires really roared at speed. The C-6 is definitely better in that respect but still loud. But so were both of my Porsche 928's so I think it is a combination of big tires with aggressive tread coupled with tight suspensions that lack a lot of urethane bushings to filter out the road noise.

motordavid
03-22-2005, 07:20 PM
my current/your previous, C5. The only real eyesore I noticed on the C6 was that steering wheel GM musta pulled from the reject design bin.
My short 20 min spin showed it to be very tight,(non-vert), and much better int fit and finish than my current Lumina interior, lol!

The road noise I could not opine on, as the C6 was brand new; my C5 with 19K on the GY RunCraps is becoming Very noisy w/a bit of flutter at high speed and some front tire "feathering/scalloping" on the outside tire edges; that may be adding to the tire noise. Oh, and the fooking Borlas are pretty "thrummey" and deep, too,lol.

Envious of your new ride, though I'm slightly hesitant on brand new MY cars, but I hope it runs tight and well for you. Keep all of us
fan(s) posted on your experiences, as the time and miles go by.
GL,mdDavid
'87 Honda Hurricane 1000
'94 Honda GW Aspencade

jimwdavis
03-24-2005, 08:17 PM
I will be honest. I had reservations about buying an all new design car this early in the production run but so far I have zero complaints. I have about 4,500 miles on it and it just keeps truckin...

Yes, the fit and finish is substantially better than the C-5. I could look down the side of my C5 and there was no doubt it was a fiberglass (or composition is the new buzz word) body. But the new one is as smooth as a steel car.

I wouldn't mind a better exhaust sound but the last system I installed on a previous car just drove me nuts with the resonance. Can't deal with that....

motordavid
03-25-2005, 09:42 AM
David
'87 Honda Hurricane 1000
'94 Honda GW Aspencade

theotherwoman
03-25-2005, 11:14 PM
Might as well jump in here and proclaim myself as the proud owner of a C6. Traded in a 96 328 on her and haven't looked back.

As to the resonance. The Corsa sport system exhaust I put on my C6 has been great. No resonance at highway cruising speeds but jump on the go peddle and she opens up and lets you know she is there. Nice burble around town and decelerating. In fact it was the wife who commented on how quiet the stock exhaust system was and she LOVES the new Corsa's, as well as the rest of the members in our club.

Try the Corsa's, I think you will like.

2002 530I Steptronic
2004 Z4 3.0 Steptronic

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index