Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on a higher capacity air intake for XJR

B7series
03-23-2005, 02:16 AM
Are there any benefits to installing a higher capacity air intake kit for my 05 XJR? If there are, who would be the best company to buy from.

RHankey
03-23-2005, 08:00 AM
Given air is force fed by way of the supercharger, a higher capacity air intake will make far less (if any) gain than it would with a normally asperated engine. In any case, I suspect it's difficult to get more clean cold air than the factory air intake can get, as most after market air intakes get at more air by drawing in hot engine bay air or are at greater risk fo sucking in dirt or water. Don't under estimate the emense engineering and testing that Jag has likely done, as between fuel efficiency, trying to compete with HP ratings, while considering engine life, it's not likely Jag has left any easy freebees on the table.

Moeshesa
03-24-2005, 09:47 AM
While debate over high flow filters while continue for some time to come I disagree that Jaguar would not overlook areas of improvement. I love my Jag but let's keep it real, Jaguar has been known to come up short in many areas before.

Russ
03-28-2005, 11:50 PM
The air intake already on the car is designed very well. The bottom of the box drops open at full throttle to let more air in. I would suggest just to drop in a K&N filter. I mean you probably can get one custom made because i dont know of any out. But basically i think you will get the same peroformance as dropping in the K&N. But you will get a nice look under the hood and a nice sound which will cost you probably $150 more than the K&N. As for other upgrades I have done and am more than happy with are upper pulley upgrade. Which is availble from eurotekdesigns.com/eurotoys.com/jaguarxp.com. I got mine from eurotek but im pretty sure all these choices are good ones. One thing that i have done at eurotek that is not offered at the other sites i mentioned is the ecu tuning. This upgrade cost me $1995 at eurotek and about $400 to have it removed and re-intsalled by a technician but its worth every penny. The car feels like its at least a half second faster to 60. I have put the car on the dyno and it showed gains of approximately 60hp and 100lbs torque and thats with the drop in filter. Also the car shows nice gains in power over the stock engine throughout the whole rpm range. Im also getting a custom titanium exhaust done at a shop in my area. Ill let you guys know how that works out. Well hope i helped you out.

B7series
03-30-2005, 02:21 AM
I've been told that the KNN is a safe choice to add performance. The tech who told me has worked on Fords before and said that the stock Jag filter is similar to a Lincoln LS. You made reference to a fancier model for about $150. Do you have any additional information regarding this item. Thanks for your help.

Russ
03-31-2005, 09:10 AM
I meant you could have one custom made for yourself and it would cost you about $150 more than just buying a K&N. And a jaguar xjr and lincoln ls have nothing in common at all. They are two totally different cars. All air factory filters are similar. Beleive me the intake that is there right now is your best bet. It is designed very good. And until someone can make another intake to replace it that actually works i say you stick with it. Just drop the KNN in and see what is available in the future. Because ive looked around and im becoming more and more convinced the reason i am not finding anything is because no one has yet to design somthing that works better.

calcareer
06-05-2005, 11:51 PM
This question is for Russs...did you do a before and after dyno on you car to determine actual rear wheel horsepower gains from the eurotekdesigns pulley upgrades and ecu upgrade? I am looking into having the pulley, ecu, and supercharger upgrades done and am trying to determine real rear wheel gains. Just for informational purposes, I dyno tested my XJR on a Mustang dyno in stock form and it displayed 318 wrhp. I would venture to guess that most stock XJR's would have similar numbers on a similar dyno.

HK
06-16-2005, 06:56 PM
Did you have the car on the dyno between the pulley upgrade and the ecu tuning ? Does the acceleration seems jerky or does it retain the smooth acceleration that Jaguars are known for ? I'm intrigued.
HK

Russ
06-23-2005, 01:13 AM
The acceleration before the ecu and pulley are a little smoother than now. It wasnt so smooth on shifts before. And now its like an animal churps into 2nd and 3rd sometimes.

jagnyc
06-24-2005, 01:58 PM
do not do it I put an air filter in my car the custom cold air intake and my check engine light went on and had many problems your best bet would be to get a replacement k&n air filter and change the exhaust I just changed my exhaust on my x type and it runs great I suggest Arden products they make the best stuff

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index