Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : i'm a new owner

peartree
03-26-2005, 03:55 PM
Well, I pulled the trigger and will be the proud new owner of a new '04 midnight XJ8. I pick it up early next week. It has dove interior. I found out you can't even get a new '05 XJ8 SWB any more because they won't build them. I paid $10k below MSRP. Did I get a decent deal?

This will be my first Jag. Are there any perks, outside of driving this beauty, that I should be aware of?

RHankey
03-28-2005, 12:39 PM
Enjoy your car. I've had not troubles with my 04-VDP which I've had for just about one year, and am still very happy with my buying decision.

As for things to be aware of: You probably want to change oil at 5000mile or 8000km intervals (half the recommended intervals), using a good synthetic oil.

A few months ago someone else on this board who resides in the US mentioned they were unable to get a SWB 05-XJ either. Odd, as there appear to be no shortage of SWB 05-XJ's showing up on dealer lots here in Canada, where the 05-XJ is offered in only a SWB (the VDP is being offered only in a LWB). All I can guess is that Jag Canada made a big order of SWB 05-XJ's before the factory allegedly switched over to making LWB models for the bulk of this year.

peartree
03-29-2005, 12:49 AM
Thank you. The explanation i've gotten about why they stopped building the 05 SWB's is because they still had a lot of '04s on the lots. However, it sounds like that situation is changing, but I suppose its almost the 06 model year now.

Kieffer
04-23-2005, 09:38 PM
You will love this car. I agree with the oil change advice if you plan on keeping the car for a while. My service advisor believes Jaguar will be replacing a lot of engines at some point because of the 10K oil chance intervial on non-synthetic oil. I run my 04 XJR on synthetic and have it changed every 5K miles, also.

If you want to run on synthetic, make sure the dealer puts this information into the database for your car. That way "Synthetic Only" will show up no matter what dealer you use.

Enjoy.

worf
09-09-2005, 08:35 PM
I'm not so sure about the need for synthetic oil changes every 5K miles. The main advantage of synthetic is that it doesn't degrade as easily and so longer intervals between oil changes are acceptable. I had a Porsche 911 before buying an '05 XJR, and Porsche recommended Mobil-1 with oil changes every 15K miles. Now the engineers at Porsche aren't stupid by any means, and they have no intention of allowing their high performance engines to be damaged prematurely, of that you can be sure. I think changing the oil every 5K makes sense for petroleum-based oils (which are still good oils) and having the safety of every 10K if you switch over to synthetic.
Just my .02

rebelreiver
09-10-2005, 03:28 PM
Peartree,
I am sure that you will enjoy a trouble free ownership of your X350. I would suggest a full synthetic oil change every 5K miles. It is the least expensive service you can perform on your car that will probably provide years of trouble free enjoyment. Regular oil change will prolong the life of your engine. If you increase the Oil change interval, you will exchange an inexpensive maintenance routine for costly repairs. Jaguar's are premium automobiles. treat them as such.http://forums1.roadfly.org/preferences/showsigimage.php?img=77362

RHankey
09-12-2005, 08:29 AM
Oil change frequency isn't solely a matter of how long the oil can go before losing it's lubricating qualities. Oil picks up combustion contaminants, acids, moisture, and other debris over time. I've also heard from multiple sources that the best oil filters are pretty much useless after roughly 5000 miles.

More frequent oil changes seems to be very cheap insurance relative to the replacement cost of our engines (roughly $10kUSD, labour extra) for those of us concerned about long term cost of ownership. Also, most warranties are null and void should sludge be found, which seems to be an increased risk of longer change intervals in our moddern hotter running engines.

Time Exposure
09-12-2005, 02:10 PM
Great car in a fantastic color. I've had a hard time convincing people that it's not black!
I am one who also does an oil change every 5k miles using sythetic oil (I chose Castrol in the Jag-recommended weight because the service dept felt tolerances were so tight that any other weight could be bad for the engine in the long run. See other forums discussing the (non-)validity of this arguement and make your own decision).
As far as perks, I know there is some arrangement with Hertz to rent XJ's at a special price, but I haven't checked into it yet. I believe Jag also sends a Lifestyle magazine if you sign up on line. Beyond that, the only perk I've noticed is the coffee is fresher and the donut selection is better when you make an early appointment!

worf
09-14-2005, 09:17 PM
I'm sure frequency is important for the reasons you delineated; however, that doesn't mean a synthetic oil is superior to a good quality non-synthetic oil if changed every 5K. Furthermore, why would Porsche recommend oil change intervals every 15K if there was good evidence that it damaged engines (I'm sure they would be aware of such widespread data should it exist)? I wonder if there is more mythology than science behind some recommendations. Perhap the engineers who actually designed and built these engines know something about the proper oil and therefore make sound recommendations, you would allow this possibility I presume? More is not always better, sometimes more is just more.

RHankey
09-15-2005, 09:51 AM
I'm not sure there's much to be gleaned from Porshe's 15k oil change interval, as:

1. There might be design or operational differences between a Porsche engine and a Jag engine that impact oil life.

2. Porsche, like all car maker's business objectives are different than those of us car owners. Porsche, like all other car makers are in the business of selling new cars that don't cost them money during the warranty period and parts for those cars. No car maker wants to be known for selling a car that constantly consumes parts, but conversely they won't make much money if their car last for ever either. We as car owners, ideally would like to have a car that would last for ever, and require no maintenance.

So, just because Porsche recommends 15k oil changes, doesn't necessarily mean it's good for their engines, or relavent to our Jags.

As for using dyno vs synthetic at 5k oil change intervals, I agree that it probably comes down to what you personally feel comfortable with.

97xk8conv
09-15-2005, 03:06 PM
Worf,

Factory engineers rely upon accelerated testing to make engineering judgements. I do not doubt for one moment that it is possible to run an accelerated test and to generate data that indicates that the engine wear rate does not increase if the oil change interval is increased to 15K.

Real world conditions are subject to serious corrosion issues, and wear is often not a primary factor. If an engine is driven for 15,000 miles straight, 15K without an oil change is probalbly not a problem. If the oil is engine is not changed in 15 months or more it is virtually guaranteed that there will be corrosion issues.

The significant decline in reliability at MB, Prosche, and BMW is driven by the shift from management dominated by engineers to management dominated by bean counters. Jaguar seems to be moving in the opposite direction, i.e. the reliability continues to improve.

Porsche engineers are not perfect, or even close to it. They do not seem to be able to resolve the leaking rear main seal issue. Porsche engineers touted the superiority of air-cooled engines for decades, and they finally gave up on them in the late 90s.

Looking at the problems in the Porsche forums make Jaguars look pretty reliable. I have never heard of a nearly new Jaguar developing a hole in the side of an engine, but it happened to a 997. If you want to feel good about your Jaguar read the Porsche forums.

97xk8conv

worf
09-15-2005, 07:54 PM
You make sound points, I would add that the factory 15K recommendations are contingent upon the appropriate time interval as well.

I spoke with my Jag dealer and they agreed that 5K oil changes are the way to go (which I have not doubted as likely a very good idea), but he also said that using synthetic every 5K adds little except expense.

Parenthetically, when was the last time you heard of an engine "failing" before ~150K miles secondary to a problem that might be attributable to substandard engine oil lubrication? I honestly can't remember someone relaying such a story with a modern engine. The vast majority of reliability problems stem from accessories to the engine (cooling system, tranny, electrical system, etc).

Time Exposure
09-16-2005, 12:11 PM
There are so many opinions on oil change frequency and type and weights, many well supported. It's hard to sort out. Considering what I paid for the pleasure of driving the classiest car under $100k, I pay the extra for synthetic, and I change it every 5k. And let's face it, even though I plan to keep the car for a very long time,in six to eight years I may be seduced by the latest and greatest XJ and sell my '04. But I would rather have taken too much care of my car than to have wondered if I took good enough care...

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index