Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

R.L. Gumm
03-31-2005, 06:46 PM
I live over an hour from the nearest MB dealer, and I drive a '95 C280. The 'Check Engine Light' came on a few days ago, and after checking all items that should or could be the cause, I'm of the notion that it must have been electronically triggered by the fact that the car just rolled over 101,000 miles. Can anybody give me list of those items that will trigger it, and once all items are checked and/or corrected, can you tell me where the 'reset' button is (or whatever other method may be used to reset it)?

Faisal_in_Laurel
04-04-2005, 04:23 PM

doug s
05-10-2005, 09:22 PM
Boy...this message board is pretty inactive....

Probably it is the 0xygen sensor finally having gone bad.

How is your gas mileage?
How does it idle?
Can you smell the exhaust when say you are backing up your car?

It could be vaccuum leaks, or worse.

I don't know MB's...but on BMW's you can check the sensor with a volt meter and I think check the resistance. There is a "normal" range where it is fine...above or below it should be replaced.
I don't know what the correct values should be...perhaps somewhere in the archives or in the manuals it will say.

David95
06-17-2005, 05:31 PM
Before having anything replaced have the engine wiring harness inspected, unless you know it was replaced after say 1999. My wifes 95 C280 had intermintent check engine light on, always with the same code, P1700. After several trips to our shop I learned abut the problem with the wiring harness. When it needed to have the head gasket replaced I got a call from the shop asking me to come down. Once there they showed me how the entire engine wiring harness insulation was crumbling off of the wires. After replacing the harness we have had no more check engine light issues.

rich540i
07-29-2005, 10:22 PM
There are many many diagnostic trouble codes that trip the check engine light,although they are all emission controls related. There is no guessing,a scanner is needed to read the fault codes. The codes can be erased with the scanner or by disconneting the battery for a minute. The radio code will be needed to use the radio after disconnecting the battery. My car: egr flow code- plugged egr line at the intake manifold (a common problem); upshift delay code- new upshift delay vacumne unit.

rich540i
07-29-2005, 10:28 PM
Forgot to mention, my car is a 1994 C280

david95
08-03-2005, 01:11 PM
You may want to inspect the engine wiring harness. Any of the connectors that can be viewed from the top side are good places to start. Look for the insulation to have cracked or peeled and exposed the wire. If you do notice this problem please read my posting "C-280 engine wiring harness" below. After identifing the problem and replacing the wiring harness all of the weird engine related issues have vanished on our car. By the way, not all shops will check the condition of the connectors or wiring, only look up the solution in the technicians postings and try that first. If you like I will post a few photos of the wiring harness from my car.

ajd001
09-27-2005, 10:58 AM
I originally posted this reply to a similar CHECK ENGINE LIGHT discussion at the AMG C message board. I appreciate the new info that it might be a corroded wiring harness issue. Will have to bring it in to get the trouble code. Do the dealers read the touble codes without charging? Anyway, I offer the following:

###

Just this weekend my check engine indicator light came on for the first time - I have a '96 C280 Sport which now has 45,000 miles. I drove the car to a local dealer who also recommended taking off and putting on the gas-cap - turning it tightly to make sure it was shut. He mentioned then that if that was the issue then the light will turn off after a while or a few days of use. So far this hasn't happenned (3 days).

The dealer told me that the car is loaded with sensors and any could trip the light. As with the maint. manual, he mentioned that the issue then would be related to the fuel injection sys or the emissions control sys. He said this doesn't become a problem unless you sense engine knock or if the car doesn't run smoothly.

- Does anyone have any follow-up info. on their experiences? I'm thinking of bringing the car in for the trouble codes to be read.

thanks,
AJD

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index