Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : rear view mirror

peartree
04-03-2005, 01:14 AM
Well, I've had my new '04 XJ8 for a few days now and I love it. So far I have just one complaint. When I view items in the rear-view mirror, the images are shaky and thus, not real clear. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it because the car is new and suspension is tight?

RHankey
04-12-2005, 09:14 AM
My 04-VDP rear view mirror needs re-adjusting every few weeks in warmer weather (even after the dealer tightened it up a bit), but is otherwise very stable and provides a clear image. I don't think one could describe the base XJ or VDP air suspension as "tight" (or at least I can't given my prior car was a corvette).

You might want to check the tire pressure, as it's not uncommon for dealers to overinflate the tires to prevent flat spotting while the car sits for prolonged periods of time. They may have forgotten to let some air out. If inflation is as it should be, I'd have the wheels checked for balance, roundness, and trueness, as your car should ride as smooth as butter over normal roads.

BKH
04-13-2005, 11:17 AM
I agree. My 04 XJR has never had any rear-view mirror shaking and never needs adjusted. Most passengers tell me the XJR is one of the best riding cars they've been in - and it is a little tighter than the VDP / XJ8 setup. A agree that your tires may be overinflated. These cars are VERY sensitive to tire issues. When I took the original Pirelli P-Zeros off the car and put on Michelin Pilot A/S tires, the ride improved noticeably. The noise level really improved.

Al Carr
04-14-2005, 08:44 AM
Glad to hear that about the Michelins. I've still got some miles to go on the Pirellis that came w/ the car -- like you, an '04 XJR; mine has the 20" Sepangs -- but they're getting more and more noisy after 14000 miles. I'll look into the Michelins for replacement when the time comes.
Just out of curiosity, what pressure do you run? I keep 35 all around in mine. The ride is quite smooth at those pressures, with more responsive turn-in than at lower pressures.
Thanks

peartree
04-14-2005, 09:21 PM
Well, it turns out that the mirror was simply loose. When I tried to adjust it, it basically fell off and I had to wedge it back on. Its getting replaced by the dealer.

What an incredible car otherwise. I can't imagine the power that the XJR or Supercharged has. I did let a little air out of my tires for a slightly smoother ride.

Just out of curiosity, what is everyone's favorite wax and/or polish? My new '04 has obviously been washed a few times by whatever dealer had it and I need to get out some elbow grease to take out the swirls that can be seen at just the right angle. I currently have Zymol wax and Blue Corral polish.

Paul
04-19-2005, 10:59 AM
I put Michelin Pilot Sports on and what a difference (38 to 39lbs). Much nicer. Tirerack had the 20"s on sale for $230. Can't beat that.

I use Zaino Bros. wax. Haven't found anything better.

B7series
04-20-2005, 02:00 AM
I just hit 2500 miles in my 05 XJR and like all of you, this car is 100% outstanding. I just increased the tire pressure to 40lbs. Is this too much? It appears that the gas mileage went up to 19.2 but in hard turns the tires screach a bit. Should I lower the pressure to 35-38? I'm using Meguires products on my car although my detailer suggested only Griots Garage products. Any comments.

Bye the way, check out the June Robb report on newsstands now. The cover story is about the upcoming Super 8 and XKR series.

RHankey
04-20-2005, 08:01 AM
I've been running 35-36psi for 8-9 months on all four corners of my 18" 04-VDP wheels (Pilot Sport A/S), after running the recommend 30 or 32psi for the first few months. The recommended psi felt too soft, and it looked like it was going to result in uneven tire wear. In my previous car (a vette), I noticed that though tires lasted longer and I got morginally better mpg with higher psi, expensive suspension parts wore out more quickly. I was running 42psi or 10psi higher than recommended on the vette. That's why I've chosen to only go 5psi higher on the Jag.

Al Carr
04-20-2005, 08:16 PM
Someone who had read this sent me an Email asking if I was sure the Sepangs w/ the Pirellis came from the factory. I tried to respond, but it got bounced back. Maybe she'll see this note --
My car, '04 XJR, was preowned by the punter for the Carolina Panthers. He took delivery in Oct '03 with the stock XJR wheels and later had the Sepangs with the Pirelli P Zeros added by the dealer when the Sepangs became available. Cost him $5500.
I guess that one supercharger and 400hp/400ftlbs of torque weren't enough and he traded the XRJ in March '04 w/ 3500 miles on some sort of double supercharged or turbocharged Mercedes. I bought the XJR shortly thereafter.
I prefer the stock XJR wheels over the Sepangs, I think, but hey, look at the bright side -- my kids tell me that w/ the Sepangs I can get into any rap concert in the country!
To much info I'm sure , but the short answer is that my car did NOT come from the factory w/ Sepangs and Pirellis.

Kieffer
04-23-2005, 09:27 PM
I also run the Michelins at 35psi. I ran into someone else with the previous model XJR. He also had the Michelin Pilot A/S tires, but had them filled with nitrogen! I guess Costco stores will do this for free for their customers - they replace the black valve cap with a green one. I've now been noticing other cars with green valve caps.

I guess the nitrogen is supposed to be more stable, with less expansion and contraction than the regular air typically used. I'm considering trying it, as I plan on driving the XJR quite a bit this summer. Some of it will be through the Nevada desert. Hopefully the radar detector will be working, because I plan on making good use of this amazing car.

Kieffer
04-23-2005, 09:29 PM
I have the standard 19" wheels. Denver has too many potholes for those beautiful 20" Sepang wheels. I'd be afraid of destroying one within a week!

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index