Reply to Thread

Post a reply to the thread: Plastic part under radiator...what is it?

Your Message

Click here to log in

Please correctly re-type the phrase f o o t d o c t o r in the form box. Re-type it without the extra spaces and put the one space where it should be. We apologize for having to do this but this silliness helps slow the spammers.


Additional Options


Topic Review (Newest First)

  • 02-01-2011, 12:46 PM

    Found the part on the side of the road....

    ...or at least the pieces of it. Luckily, one of the pieces had the part number on it. If anyone is interested, its #51712496714 "Air Duct, bottom, front" according to BMW. $45.
  • 01-31-2011, 09:19 PM

    Part # 51718397359

    Part # 51718397359

    Air Dam or Underbody Shield

    Did something similar myself - bought a new one, put it on, then promptly put a hole in the new one when I hit a cone at cca event - I think.. Other z3 forum there is talk of getting a more rugged one, like aluminum..

    I am not sure if it is there for protection, or air flow - or both, personally I am about to remove both my plastic shroud and this thing.

  • 01-31-2011, 08:56 PM

    Plastic part under radiator...what is it?

    Changed the cooling system (Rad, WP, thermo...etc.) and left the plastic shield off to check for leaks....but like an idiot left the plastic piece that was hanging below the radiator....then promptly drove over it as it fell off about 3 miles down the road. Dealer can't seem to find it on the system or at realoem. Any of you fellow 1998 MZ3 buds know what this dang part is? It wasn't very big (maybe 18 inches long?), and seemed to hook onto a lip either on or right below the radiator. Air duct? Splitter? Tried searching here and couldn't find a definite answer....

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
1e2 Forum