+ Reply to Thread
    MemphisTomC

Yes | No

M Rdstr Tire Pressure

I've searched here and the Z3 board but have found little on tire pressure for a Drivers Ed event.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Here's the scoop:

The car

98 M roadster, Dinan strut brace and Stage 1 suspension (I'll add the roll bars later), SO-3 Pole Positions Front 235-45-17, Rear 255-40-17

The track

Memphis Motosports Park, 1.8 mile road course, 2 carousels, 1 close set of left->right 90 degree turns, 1 section known as the Ms with quick right->left->right

Weather

Sunny and low-60s

Thanks in advance

Tom

Registered Member
    Member No: 131608 Robertsmau is an unknown quantity at this point Robertsmau's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: M Rdstr Tire Pressure

I just raced a 1999 M coupe with Pilot Cup R compound tires and was amazed how much heat I generated in those tires. Pressure are very dependent on your driving style so it's difficult to tell you where to start. I'd try 28psi cold all around and then try to level them out at about 30psi hot. You should be letting more air out of one side or the other based on the track.

Registered Member
    Member No: 13316 Cochise is an unknown quantity at this point Cochise's Avatar

Yes | No

Cold starting pressures are always a mystery...

It will depend on the track, how hard you drive the car and how many left turns vs. right turns. I have never run your tires before. What i'd do is try and compensate 1 psi or 2 psi of a variance from left to right if the track has a lot more lefts than rights or vice versa. For the most part, i'd just guess and put 28-30 psi all around in. Go out and drive it hard for a bit and then bleed them down to 38-40 all around. Ask other guys that are running similar tires. With street tires, i try and stay around 40 psi. Once you've got them to 40 psi all around, after they cool overnight, those are your starting cold pressures for the next day.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information