+ Reply to Thread
    Driving325is

Yes | No

Anybody with Europlates have problems with cops?

I'm thinking of getting a Europlate for my E30, but I'm afraid of getting tickets and getting pulled over. Even if I don't actually get a ticket, the idea of having a cop give me trouble just bugs me.

I know lots of cars drive around without a front plate, but I think a Europlate draws more attention than no plate at all. Any thoughts? I'm in the San Gabriel Valley not too far from Downtown LA.

IE Greg

Yes | No

I've Never Had a Problem w/o a Front Plate

but I have heard of others who have. Technically, you must have a CA front license plate in the state of CA - so anytime a policeman wants to stop you for it, he's gonna do it.

That said, where I live (Riverside), the city police won't stop you for that. But the CHP will definitely stop you if they notice it - they seem to be more focused on every single traffic law. I've heard that the LAPD around the Sunset Strip will also ticket you for no front plates, or I suppose for a Euro front plate.

Just do it - worst thing you'll ever have to do is fix it!

Mine is the one on the right - with no front plate ...

EdinLA44

Yes | No

Re: Anybody with Europlates have problems with cop

I drove without a front plate for many years but in the last year I've been stopped twice. Fortunately I never got a ticket. I hear that CHP is big on it and also Beverly Hills and cities with those photo radar traffic lights such as Culver City. I finally broke down and put the correct front plate on about 6 months ago.

You could always put a euro plate on the car and then keep the California one inside and slap it up on the dash if you are in an area with heavy enforcement.

Driving325is

Yes | No

Having both plates up

"You could always put a euro plate on the car and then keep the California one inside and slap it up on the dash if you are in an area with heavy enforcement."

I thought about that. Are you sure I can get away with that? I don't want the cops to have a reason to pull me over and then look for other stupid stuff to ticket me on. I might be hit for "speeding" if I'm going 42 in a 35 zone. Or, for example, I painted the orange turn signals on my taillights red. The white reverse lights are still white, though.

Anyway, I once saw a car with no plate on the bumper but had the plate inside on some sort of special mount. I haven't been able to find it. Any ideas?

Registered Member
    Member No: 123602 EdinLA44 is an unknown quantity at this point EdinLA44's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Having both plates up

I don't know about a mount. Most times I've just seen one stuck up there. It looks stupid but meets the requirements.

Registered Member
    Member No: 44460 goldsman is an unknown quantity at this point goldsman's Avatar

Yes | No

Just a word of caution -- a license plate loose on the dash can become a flying guillotine in an accident. Be careful.

Louis

A

Yes | No

didnt have a front plate on my wife car...received a ticket for no front Lic plate while it was parked in L.A. I forget how much it was, but it was enough that I put a plate on the front after that.

Registered Member
    Member No: 75312 LSupreemo is an unknown quantity at this point LSupreemo's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Anybody with Europlates have problems with cops?

...intent on raising revenue.
    During the winter floods, I moved an un-registered car out to the
    street so the drive could be bulldozed, and sure enough got a ticket.

And don't go on any airport property without everything copecetic, as the airport police want to stop and check out every and any car they can find an excuse to.L'Supreemo
    CEO of the Upper East Side Locos - the Kinder, Gentler Gang

Registered Member
    Member No: 24009 wernst is an unknown quantity at this point wernst's Avatar

Yes | No

My front Euro Plate MATCHES CA plate...

I have a vantiy plate from the state of CA.

I got a Euro plate that matches it for the front.

Its been this way for 3+ years. I have never been stopped (knocks on wood) for it, and some cop friends tell me that, while technically illegal, they wouldn't stop me for it either.

-Llama

Rick

Yes | No

Front plate bracket

If anybody out there isn't going to display the front plate, how about selling me the bracket that mounts to the bumper? Mine never came with the car. I don't need the cops to notice me, I already have the front windows tinted!

corys530

Yes | No

wife got the no plate t icket wednesday

a chp pulled her over for a not complete stop, she whined her way into a warning on the stop but got a fixit for the plate and a " i didnt see the tinting".......calif, what ya gonna do? over all a pretty cool cop

01 530 no plate
    04 330 no plate mostly
    95 yukon dented plate!

corys530

Yes | No

we need them for the fixi, write off!

Registered Member
    Member No: 134122 dub2shoe is an unknown quantity at this point dub2shoe's Avatar

Yes | No

I have no plates at all...

Since I just bought my car, and I work at a Ford dealership (Galpin), my boss gave me a hard time about not giving the dealership business. To sort of make up for this, I put a "galpin premier collection" dealership plate on the back, and I have no front plate. It's probably stupid, but I never have to worry about someone calling into the cops with my plate number saying that I did something petty like cut him off (this has happened to me 2 times before). Everyone thinks I have a new car too haha

Registered Member
    Member No: 134821 SLShark is an unknown quantity at this point SLShark's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: I have no plates at all...

Do you own a Z4? Your posting makes no since.

Registered Member
    Member No: 141949 UscEsq is an unknown quantity at this point UscEsq's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: I've Never Had a Problem w/o a Front Plate

I don't have a front plate and my front windown have an extremely light tint which keeps out heat and uv's, but is transparent and I got pulled over on the 10 FW near crenshaw by the CHP and got a ticket. Happened before and the judge threw it out.

Was just out on Sunset strip this weekent and a guy driving a suped up mustang got pulled over by a cop just standing in the middle of the street watching cars go by. The guy didn't like it and ended up in the back seat of the police car. I used that as my que to drive past the cop with no front plate. It is a risk out here!
    UscEsq 850i
    Los Angeles, California
    --------------
    Work hard. Play hard!

Cameron

Yes | No

I think you might have some trouble if it's the law to have a registered California plate on the front of your car, otherwise it should be fine.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information