+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 16800 calemon is an unknown quantity at this point calemon's Avatar

Yes | No

Leaking shock dangerous?

Just looking for opinions on any real danger in continuing to drive on a leaking shock for a couple of weeks while I figure out what package to replace everything with. I understand it won't be performing "properly", but possibly hasn't been for some time. I just want to know that it won't suddenly seize, lockup, fly apart, etc...

I noticed a clicking coming from the right front when going over certain kinds of bumps (sharp, not too big, not too small). On a jack, I could duplicate it with a rubber mallet by tapping the rotor or caliper but could see anything.

Today I'm under the car (ramps) changing front sway bar links and the right shock is covered in oil. I was looking for an excuse anyways.... :) Probably Dinan Stage I (I have other Dinan equipment on the car) or the complete Eibach setup. I like the idea of a "tested together" matched solution instead of mixing and matching and then having ride height, comfort or other problems down the road.

98 528i M sport 60k mi

Craig.

jlevie

Yes | No

Re: Leaking shock dangerous?

As far as I know the only risk from driving a car with a leaking shock is its effect on handling. On a rough surface that wheel may not track the road as well and under hard braking the wheel might have a tendancy to hop. As long as you are aware of that and drive a bit more conservatively it should be okay.

Registered Member
    Member No: 78533 raymartin is an unknown quantity at this point raymartin's Avatar

Yes | No

someone on the m5 board just blew a rear shock

it collapsed the rear of the car onto the tire. no one hurt but it left on a flatbed with some other damage.
    you can search over there to find the post , but it was last week he posted.

jlevie

Yes | No

Re: someone on the m5 board just blew a rear shock

Did the car have the M-Technik self-leveling suspension? A failure of one of those could result in collapse as could the failure of the shock rod, shock tube, or attach points.

Registered Member
    Member No: 123145 Swe_Per is an unknown quantity at this point Swe_Per's Avatar

Yes | No

Leaking shocks

well it will impear ure breaking distance.. it will be longer than if it was 100% functional also at worst also it COULD twist ure car to either sides IF/WHEN ure panic breaks aswell, upon where u do a flying dutchman (ditch driving) or a frontal kiss on a Mack.

a clicking sound?
    if it also comes when u go reverse in low speed with full turning (keep front side windows open to hear better and do put in neutral so u dont hear all the driveline noises) then plz do check the wheel bearings it could be one of em breaking down if they wear down so much that they break off its bye bye wheel and a possible car crash.

u should change both shocks in the front. if 1 breaks down theres no say when the other gives up aswell.
    besides if u run with 2 shocks one working 100% and one working 60-70% ure gonna wear down the fresh one quite rapid.

R u really really low on cash then get 1 used shock abt same milage/same brand will last abt a year or 2 if lucky.
    if ure low on cash get something like MONROE oil shocks theyre ok but not the best, got a tad more cash or want something better than oil sure get monroe gas shocks better than oil .
    got enough cash? buy konis/sachs/AP or what brand u want.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information