+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 21056 mbmz3 is an unknown quantity at this point mbmz3's Avatar

Yes | No

Texas front license plate

Tom C just posted this to the Z3 page

The Texas House just approved a bill to eliminate the front license plate requirement yesterday. The bill was sent to the Senate, today.

Bokke

Yes | No

what will the prisoners do with that extra time...

Layne

Yes | No

Re: what will the prisoners do with that extra time...

I have seen pontiacs sold new without the front plate and the place where it goes is blocked out with a plastic pontiac insignia. How do they get away with that? I'll be glad when they're not required, I never liked the looks of them. I might put a euro plate on the front. I always thought the US should offer optional plates the size and shape of euro ones so they'd look better on foriegn cars.

Registered Member
    Member No: 127991 zoomblur is an unknown quantity at this point zoomblur's Avatar

Yes | No

In response to your Euro plates...

Does anyone know if I can put euro style plates on front and back, or just front. I already have custom plates, but if I put the same numbers on the plate I think that should work. I have found a service in Ireland that will also stamp a "slogan" on the plate, so along with the number I can have "Texas - State of the Arts" on the bottom of the tags. I've seen these in the Dallas area on front and back, but has anyone else had any experience with these?

Shane

Yes | No

In response to front plates

For all of you on this message board concerning front plates. I was checking to see if the law passed since I haven't received a new law update yet and found this post.

However, I am a Deputy Sheriff who investigates collisions that involve drivers that flee the scene. I have also taken many reports at gas stations and such where vehicles flee the scene after stealing gas/purses/etc.

You may not like the look of the front license plates. But, I will always have one on my vehicles. That front LP is in a large number of cases the only lead that law enforcement has to solve some crimes. I have taken a stolen purse report where a team of three people were stealing purses from convenience stores using distraction techniques. If it weren't for video of the front car's LP then they wouldn't have been caught. There have been numerous Hit and Run cases that I have solved because the victim observed the front LP as the suspect vehicle left the scene. Same with department store thefts. Some department stores have video cameras for their front doors and catch that front plate as the suspect jumps in the car to flee the scene.

If you are a law abiding citizen then having a front plate (even though it is horribly ugly) does afford you some protection. If you are a crook then you really, really, want that law taken off the books to make it easier to get away with whatever crime you are trying to commit.

For most people the front LP is just an eye sore. For some people it meant getting their purse/id/credit cards/etc. back and being able to have their car repaired by someone else's insurance. I also happen to think the darn thing is horribly ugly - no matter the color, size, shape, or whatever. No LP was going to make the sleek front end of my old 1997 Trans Am look better than it did without one!!!! But, I had one on it anyway.

Just my $.02 worth.

Ya'll take care and good luck.

Jeff

Yes | No

Where in the front?

Was wondering if anyone knew the actuall regulation number that tells where in the front the license plate should be. Of if it actually specifies where in the front of the car it should be located.

thanks

JM

Yes | No

Re: Front plates - No legislation found

I just looked on the Texas Legislature for anything regarding front license plates and the ONLY item listed is an amendment that states that 2 license plates are required and that the front license plate must be right side up etc....

I looked for the bill and amendment stated in one of the previous responses and found nothing on Texas Legislature online except something for autism.

There is nothing that says that you cannot have a front plate. The dealerships need to get this clarified with the state legislature.

I think we are all clueless and there is no clarification.

Kevin

Yes | No

Re: In response to the deputy sheriff

In response to the deputy sheriff...maybe we should be required to put a plate on the both sides of our cars too...where do we draw the line?

ap545i

Yes | No

Re: Texas front license plate

That is great, in fact i was about to have the dealer install the front plate on my 05 545 (requires driling holes in the bumper). So the bill has still not passed yet.

Thanks for the information.

Registered Member
    Member No: 165238 studk2005 is an unknown quantity at this point studk2005's Avatar

Yes | No

If your car is registered after Sept. 1, 2007, then you are not required to have a front license plate in Texas.

Ben//86&88 635

Yes | No

About time. Yahoooooooooooooo

Registered Member
    Member No: 21056 mbmz3 is an unknown quantity at this point mbmz3's Avatar

Yes | No

btw, haven't had a front plate for 6 years now.

Steve

Yes | No

Re: btw, haven't had a front plate for 6 years now.

What is the bill number?

Registered Member
    Member No: 103289 TxDarth is an unknown quantity at this point TxDarth's Avatar

Yes | No

OK, - got you beat not since '82 on any car except

company sleds but can't wait 'till it is legal. I got warned today and and had one repair ticket back in 86 or 87.Darth in CT
    Click picture for a closer look!
    or Flag for Darth's CarDomain Page

Darth in CT CarDomain Page

Registered Member
    Member No: 126115 tantric is an unknown quantity at this point tantric's Avatar

Yes | No

I sure hope Senate & Governor sign it ASAP

dherzfeld

Yes | No

Any update on the Texas Front License plate issue? Is this law in effect as of Sept. 1? My new E90 325i comes in mid August, I may have the dealer not install the front plate.

Thanks
    Dherzfeld

dtown

Yes | No

i was just wondering if anyone knew any hard facts about the law about front license plates in texas. if anyone knows anything that would be great

Registered Member
    Member No: 22468 bmwe39us is an unknown quantity at this point bmwe39us's Avatar

Yes | No

it

BMW . e39 . us

Registered Member
    Member No: 22468 bmwe39us is an unknown quantity at this point bmwe39us's Avatar

Yes | No

it's required in Texas, but enforecement depends

on the city, county or officer. I had a chat with a Plano, TX officer once, and he shared his disappointment in Lexus dealelers selling cars without the front plates. I've been pulled over once near Denton, Flower Mound by a gorgeous chick-cop, due to the lack of front plates, but she gave me warning and let me go...

BMW . e39 . us

Navy Diver

Yes | No

Can anyone give us an update on the Texas front plate requirement?

has it passed the Senate yet?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information