+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Jeff

Yes | No

Where in the front?

Was wondering if anyone knew the actuall regulation number that tells where in the front the license plate should be. Of if it actually specifies where in the front of the car it should be located.

thanks

JM

Yes | No

Re: Front plates - No legislation found

I just looked on the Texas Legislature for anything regarding front license plates and the ONLY item listed is an amendment that states that 2 license plates are required and that the front license plate must be right side up etc....

I looked for the bill and amendment stated in one of the previous responses and found nothing on Texas Legislature online except something for autism.

There is nothing that says that you cannot have a front plate. The dealerships need to get this clarified with the state legislature.

I think we are all clueless and there is no clarification.

speech therapist

Yes | No

Re: Front plates - No legislation found

I was pulled over yesterday when out in West Texas for not having a front plate on my 2006 Toyota Avalon. There is no place for a plate on the front. I was just given a warning but the DPS officer said it is the law, I must have both a front and back plate. I called my dealership and they said they can put it on for me. I asked why they delivered it to me with no front plate back in May 2006 and they told me then I didn't need one. They had no answer for me. They seem to now know that it is the law but didn't back in May 2006. I have been driving without a front plate since May 2006 thinking I was within the law. I am going in to the dealer to have that recitified tomorrow.
    Speech therapist

Joseph

Yes | No

Re: Front plates - HERE'S THE CURRENT LAW IN TEXAS

TEXAS TRANSPORTATION CODE

502.404. OPERATION OF VEHICLE WITHOUT LICENSE PLATE OR REGISTRATION INSIGNIA.

(a) A person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway during a registration period a passenger car or commercial motor vehicle that does not display two license plates, at the front and rear of the vehicle, that have been:
    (1) assigned by the department for the period; or
    (2) validated by a registration insignia issued by the
    department that establishes that the vehicle is registered for the
    period.
    (b) A person commits an offense if the person operates on a
    public highway during a registration period a passenger car or
    commercial motor vehicle, other than a vehicle assigned license
    plates for the registration period, that does not properly display
    the registration insignia issued by the department that establishes
    that the license plates have been validated for the period.
    (c) A person commits an offense if the person operates on a
    public highway during a registration period a road tractor,
    motorcycle, trailer, or semitrailer that does not display a license
    plate, attached to the rear of the vehicle, that has been:
    (1) assigned by the department for the period; or
    (2) validated by a registration insignia issued by the department that establishes that the vehicle is registered for the period.
    (d) Subsections (a) and (b) do not apply to a dealer
    operating a vehicle as provided by law.
    (e) An offense under this section is a misdemeanor
    punishable by a fine not to exceed $200.
    (f) A court may dismiss a charge brought under Subsection
    (a) if the defendant:
    (1) remedies the defect before the defendant's first
    court appearance; and
    (2) pays an administrative fee not to exceed $10.
    (g) A court may dismiss a charge brought under Subsection
    (b) if the defendant:
    (1) shows that:
    (A) the passenger car or commercial motor vehicle was issued a registration insignia by the department that establishes that the vehicle was registered for the period during
    which the offense was committed; and
    (B) the registration insignia described in Paragraph (A) was attached to the passenger car or commercial motor
    vehicle before the defendant's first court appearance; and
    (2) pays an administrative fee not to exceed $10.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

Amended by: Acts 2007, 80th Leg., R.S., Ch. 1027, 1, eff. September
    1, 2007.

MY TRANSLATION:

Paragraph (a) applies to license plates. Paragraph (b) applies to the little stick-on annual registration sticker that goes on the plates; paragraph (c) is for vehicles which are only reauired to have one license plate. Paragraph (d) exempts dealers from license plate requirements. Paragraph (e) means IT'S A $200 FINE!!! Paragraph (f) says the court MAY waive the fine if you put on the license plate (a picture of the front of the car with the plate stuck on it might work!) and pay a $10 fee; BUT ... this is discretionary with the court.

Registered Member
    Member No: 165238 studk2005 is an unknown quantity at this point studk2005's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Texas front license plate

If your car is registered after Sept. 1, 2007, then you are not required to have a front license plate in Texas.

Registered Member
    Member No: 165238 studk2005 is an unknown quantity at this point studk2005's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Texas front license plate

Registered Member
    Member No: 4787 rustyh is an unknown quantity at this point rustyh's Avatar

Yes | No

I trust you found out that bill didn't make it.

Shawn

Yes | No

Re: Where in the front?

Texas law for a front license plate allows you to put it in the windshield area, only on the passenger side up front on the dash (secured, so it doesn't move around). The Act was pending approval to not have a license plate at all in front, but it doesn't appear that it passed near as I can tell.

Kevin

Yes | No

Re: In response to the deputy sheriff

In response to the deputy sheriff...maybe we should be required to put a plate on the both sides of our cars too...where do we draw the line?

Joe

Yes | No

That's a little hard to believe that a dealer

would claim that they didn't know front license plates were required in Texas. There has NEVER been a front plate exemption here, and you can tell them to look it up or contact the DPS if they say otherwise.

I've been driving for over 50 years, I'm also a retired DPS officer, and I can assure you someone at your dealership was either lying or as dumb as they come. Even the papers on my '32 Ford states it was delivered with two plates.

I know the county would have issued two plates for your car. I'm at a complete loss what the dealer could have thought the second one was for. A spare in case you lost the other? Not hardly.

Joe

Plate Number

Yes | No

License Plate Lookup

How can you do a reverse license plate number check up? I would like to know if there's any sort of way you can type in a license plate number on the internet and see the name of the person if it is associated to or maybe the address of that person. Can someone help me to solve this? It's an The state of illinois license plate with S by the end of it. Please email me whether you can perform a search or post if you know how to do a absolutely free one. Thanks so much.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information