+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    TMingst

Yes | No

Satellite Radio + IPod

While in the process of ordering my Icelink for the Z8, I asked the shop guy(Al & Ed's Autosound in LA) what he would suggest if I wanted to add BOTH IPod and Satellite radio capability. He suggested using a 3-way switch, hardwired to the CD Changer/Radio cable. The switch would toggle audio/power for all three units.

I would lose the Icelink functionality of choosing IPod playlists through the radio, but that doesn't bother me too much. The IPod can sit where the phone used to live. However, the portable Satellite unit must use a mounting dock.

Has anyone tried this 3-way setup? Any suggestions for mounting the portable Satellite unit? I love the clean interior of the Z8 and would hate to see a base unit stuck to the transmission tunnel or dash.

Many thanks.
    Tyler
    Titanium '01

Registered Member
    Member No: 41339 joea2 is an unknown quantity at this point joea2's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Satellite Radio + IPod

The "Roady II" doesn't use a docking station and can be wired into the console!

Registered Member
    Member No: 33791 Z8mania is an unknown quantity at this point Z8mania's Avatar

Yes | No

How about a new head unit

Alpine makes an ipod adaptor and already has sat radio capability. This would be expensive though as you would now be tempted to replace the speakers + amps + nav. But it would be nice. I have this setup in another car and I am happy with it. Btw- the ipod integration is OK- its a little slow to scroll through a lot of info and I have taken to making playlists of things I want to hear often (Eg- Billy Joel or The Who).

Mollyshark

Yes | No

Which radio?

I love my Z8, but the nav/stereo in the Z4 and the satellite in my Honda Element have me a tad spoiled. What would be a good replacement unit to accomplish all this in a Z8 and still being able to close it up with the cover? I don't want to spoil the look, but the nav is useless, the stereo sounds awful, and...well, you know. Thoughts?

TMingst

Yes | No

Roady II

Thanks for the idea; I found the Roady II on the web. Looks like a possible solution, but can't tell if the connection can be hardwired to the car. Do you have one of these?

Using the FM transmitter in LA is poor at best given that there are no open frequencies.

Tyler
    Titanium '01

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Roady II

I'm using one in N.Y.C.. The reception is quite good! I am plugging it into the lighter but it can surely be hard-wired. They are having a "buy one/get one free sale" now!
    I have one mounted in the house and tied into the intercom system and a second one that I move from car to car leaving the antenna for which I have the wiring concealed.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Which radio?

Im not so sure youd want to do this particular one in the Z8- but its what I have in the M5.

The good news is its a single size unit with a big screen that pops out and tilts up. Youd want to do measurements with an installer to make sure it would work as the stock head unit is sunk in fairly deep. When in use youd have this big screen and when not in use youd have your car looking stock (if you close the radio cover). Its expensive though- youd have to buy all these modules separately.

420i- ipod module
    http://iweb.alpine-usa.com/img/asb/kca-420i.gif

NVE-N852A- Nav system
    http://iweb.alpine-usa.com/pls/admn/item_info?p_item_name=NVE-N852A&p_category=90&p_subcategory=&p_main=20

VPA-B211A Nav interface module ( I think you would need this)
    http://iweb.alpine-usa.com/pls/admn/item_info?p_item_name=VPA-B211A&p_category=90&p_subcategory=&p_main=20

You would also need a sat radio tuner- I could not find a listing on the Alpine website for one- but if you do a system like the one above the price wont add much as its about $250.

Youd also want to replace the stock cd changer- the good news is you can get a MP3 cd changer from alpine or- or- get the dvd changer and watch videos- for the passenger- In the Z8 I would go with the CD changer. In my car, I have their DVD changer and on that particular unit- it cannot read cd-roms with MP3s on it.

Im not sure if I would do this in my Z8- but this would give you the functionality you are looking for. Id put the nav system where the BMW nav is now, the mp3 cd changer where the BMW cd changer is and then all the other stuff Id find a way to hide in the trunk area. The ipod would go where the phone goes and Id put the remote in there too- you need that remote for nav functions- its easy once you get used to it. One great feature on the nav is it has a phone directory of businesses- enter the phone number and it will get the address. Id mount the sat antenna inside the rear bumper- thanks to Z8 Andy for that suggestion.

Or just do this one- a more traditional unit- but I think it does not have nav ability. It does work with ipod and sat radio.
    http://iweb.alpine-usa.com/pls/admn/item_info?p_item_name=CDA-9855&p_category=150&p_subcategory=&p_main=10

Pioneer might have some units worth looking into also.

Mollyshark

Yes | No

Re: Which radio?

Thanks much! Kind of funny to just spend 100+ on a car and then start thinking of a stereo as expensive! I like your suggestions and will look into it.

mShark

Registered Member

Yes | No

Youre welcome (m)

I have decided not to do these things in my Z8 because of the way I use the Z8.. My Z8 is my escape and I want to keep it as simple as possible. The ipod, sat radio, even nav (which I am glad we have) all require an information display. I love how I can just drive off into the sunset with no gauges in front of me at all- just the open road- and the roar of the exhaust and the wind blowing in my hair.

I might one day- when the stock speakers finally wear out or if the head unit ever dies- make a change.

But this is just me- its just my perspective- if you want to do these things, the message above is how I would begin to think of them.

If you are looking for a great installer, I dont know where you are, let me recommend AI Design. They have done nice work on my M5(a/v system) and Z8 (quaife lsd+dinan sway bars+ eisenmann exhaust). They do work for clients all over the world.

Mollyshark

Yes | No

why I would do it

I'm with you...it's also my escape. That's one thing I like about the clean lines. But my most enjoyable times in the Z4 is when I set the Nav for some little town a few hours away and tell it to get me there without getting on the highway. Then I just follow. I have discovered some of the neatest little places and the roads are usually delicious country trails the Zs are made for. And I always have some kind of music on. Something to sing along to at top screech. The stereo sound is so bad I actually find it distracting and the nav is so useless, well, I don't think I'd trust it. Of course at the moment it still has the original DVD and even my home street doesn't exist. On 'last destinations' I noticed several of them in Munich, so get the impression the previous owner wasn't wowed by the nav either! So I think our reasoning is the same on the Z8, just different ways to get to that same relaxed state of being!

Registered Member

Yes | No

I find the nav to be pretty good

The stock system is pretty good actually. Its never lead me astray.

Now as to the audio quality. The system is setup to be overly bassy- apparently the manufacturers think we want a boomy sound. I hate that.

I have mine setup (from my memory) as:

AM/FM
    Bass: lowest setting
    Treble: one notch below highest setting

CD
    Bass: one notch above lowest
    Treble: either the highest or one below

Fader: one notch forward
    Balance: one notch to the right (this makes a slightly better bias for the driver)

Give that a try. Write down your settings in case you dont like mine.

Mollyshark

Yes | No

Pretty close to mine! I'll play with nav a little

LMEND

Yes | No

I'm going to agree with Z8Mania...

I've orded the most recent version of the navigation discs, and find them to be great, actually. And I also find the sound system to be just fine, although yes, there is a bit too much bass. Is there any reason to think maybe the Alpinas (newest version of the car) may have been slightly improved on those items?? I was always happy.

Registered Member
    Member No: 102468 jawz is an unknown quantity at this point jawz's Avatar

Yes | No

What's the latest version of nav? Did you order

thru NavTech?
    Black/Crema
    2003 Alpina #480

LMEND

Yes | No

Yes. It's an 8 disc set, 2004 version-

the number in the disc (if this helps) is S0001-0111-407 and it has the whole country and Canada. 1-888-NAV-MAPS. I find it to be very current for my area.

Registered Member
    Member No: 102468 jawz is an unknown quantity at this point jawz's Avatar

Yes | No

Thanks LMEND. I need to update mine as well.

Black/Crema
    2003 Alpina #480

Registered Member

Yes | No

There is a March 2005 version(2005-2)!

Mollyshark

Yes | No

I'm at a loss on these nav disks

The nav disk for the entire US in the Z4 is on one, yes one DVD. Why in the WORLD does this require 8 when it isn't even color intricate display?

Registered Member

Yes | No

Because they are CD's not DVD!!!

Mollyshark

Yes | No

Doink! My vision is clearing!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information