+ Reply to Thread
    farley2

Yes | No

E90 Automatic Transmission Problem

I have driven 4 E90s (a 330 manual, a 330 automatic, and two 325 automatics) and have noticed what I perceive to be a problem with the 6 speed automatic transmission. When driving around town in the 20 to 50 mph range the transmission is quite often in the wrong gear when you try to accelerate. Invariably the gear is too high and the transmission must abruptly downshift to respond to the throttle. Iím not talking about flooring the accelerator but rather a normal acceleration. My wife also drove a 325 automatic and commented on the same thing. This happened on all three of the automatics I drove and happens at least one third of the time when trying to accelerate. Iím not sure they have this car and the program for the automatic sorted out just yet. Its slightly better on the 330 and is not as prevalent when in sport mode. I was seriously considering ordering a new 3 series but for now this is an issue that makes we not sure I want one so I have decided not to order one for now. I have 2 E46s now (a 330i and a 325i) both with automatic and have never noticed this behavior in my present cars. Has anyone else noticed this when driving a E90 with automatic?

Bad Email Address on File
    Member No: 71224 JIO is an unknown quantity at this point JIO's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: E90 Automatic Transmission Problem

I think the transmission has a adaption process it goes through to learn your style of driving. I think with time and miles the tranny sorts those things out. Another possibility is for the EPA mpg ratings, manufacturers try to get the tranmission to shift into high gear or higher gear as quickly as possible.

Registered Member
    Member No: 77191 pony_trekker is an unknown quantity at this point pony_trekker's Avatar

Yes | No

Why automatics are for wusses. . .

I have one but seriously regret not getting manual. Yeah, yeah, the wife can't drive it but if I HAVE to buy a manual . . .

Registered Member
    Member No: 21289 andy.cass is an unknown quantity at this point andy.cass's Avatar

Yes | No

That's auto's for you

It's true about staying in a high gear. You won't notice it as much on the 330 as it pulls more from low revs than a 325 - More Torques!! In sport mode, the auto will just kick down sooner but there will always be a delay or it will be in too high a gear when cornering. Stick to a manual. If you want an auto wafter buy a Jag.

farley2

Yes | No

Re: E90 Automatic Transmission Problem

You may be onto something with the comment that the the tramsmission is "adaptive" and learns about a particular divers habits and style. This could explain shifting problems. I need to take one out for a longer drive and see if it "adapts". I'll look into that more, thanks.

Registered Member
    Member No: 90128 Socom is an unknown quantity at this point Socom's Avatar

Yes | No

Funny u mention that because that is why I

chose to lease a manual instead of an auto. When I test drove an auto it felt the same way. Too bad a potential buyer can't get a feel of how the auto will drive for him because the tranny hasn't had time to adapt to his driving style.

03' ZHP , Sapphire Black, Black Leather, Xenons , Moonroof

Registered Member
    Member No: 57882 not2blu is an unknown quantity at this point not2blu's Avatar

Yes | No

Ask BMW about it

I have found that transmission problems are the most difficult to troubleshoot and resolve w/ BMW. Test drive it w/ BMW rep and point it out to them. See if they either say it's normal and won't ever change or it will adapt. Get it in writing before you buy and find yourself with a series "could not duplicate problem" or "car performing to normal specifications" service records.

Adaptive sounds great, but I personally wouldn't like that. Sometimes I drive more aggressively than others and I'd like to feel confident the car can respond when I step on the pedal- and not sit there and hope that it has "learned" to respond.

Xyrium

Yes | No

Re: Funny u mention that because that is why I

How do you like that new dynamic ascent feature(whatever it's called) that prevents the car from rolling back in case you don't know how to drive stick?

Registered Member
    Member No: 172971 mirezhm is an unknown quantity at this point mirezhm's Avatar

Yes | No

Transmission cold start delay & hitting when shift

My vehicle is 2004 BMW 325xi.
    I had experienced transmission delay engagement of one-half minute to two minutes after shifting from Reverse to Drive or from Drive to Reverse during the first cold start in the morning (after
    extended - overnight parking. When I live it in Drive (D) the vehicle creeps forward until the transmission is fully engaged. Than it starts to drive. Sometimes I live the vehicle running until the temperature gauge goes to one quarter (it warms up to 1/4). Than it drives forward and in reverse with no problem.
    The problem is more prevalent in colder weather, and usually
    occurs during a ``cold start'' such as after the vehicle has been
    parked with the engine off overnight.Transmission software is updated
    When I shift (I have my foot on break) from P to D or P to R it hits when it goes in gear. It doesn't go into gear (R or D) right away but 1 to 1.5 sec later. It makes "tuff" (like it hits - hard to describe) noise when it shifts from P to D or P to R.
    IS THAT ''HITTING'' NORMAL, LIKE TRANS IS JUST SHIFTING IN GEAR....??
    IS '' COLD START'' DEMAGING TRANSMISSION?
    IS TRANSMISSION GOING BAD?
    PLEASE RESPOND TO MY EMAIL ASAP [email protected]
    Help is appreciated, thank you.

DeadEd

Yes | No

Re: Transmission cold start delay & hitting when shift

OK,

First, for future reference, your 2004 325xi is a BMW E-46 chassis. It really is a completely different car than the E-90 family discussed in this forum. There's a separarate forum for that chassis on this board, and you'll run across a group of folks that are much more familiar with your car in general, and this problem in particular.

That said, This does sound like the same problem that many E46 owners have encountered with their automatic trannys. My E46 has a manual transmission, so I haven't kept up to date on the details, but it's been my experience that delays shifting into gear on any auto tranny are a sign that the tranny is going south. Eventually, I bet you end up losing reverse gear altogether.

I hope it's still under warranty, or that a fluid replacement at least minimizes the problem (BMW's filled-for-life policy is pure BS). I hear that these transmissions aren't cheap.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information