+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 9536 imran is an unknown quantity at this point imran's Avatar

Yes | No

Can a worn sway bar link cause vibration during

Just had tie rods replaced and did alignment...car was great and tracked great...now I have a moderate to severe shaking in the front end during moderate braking..I had this issue several thousand miles ago with cross drilled zimmermans, which subsequently went away after I had them on a lathe and cut...I know my right front sway bar link (the long one) is a bit shot, but can it cause significant vibration? The other surprising thing is that this vibration has shown up almost immediately after replacing the tie rods and having the alignment done...thanks.
    Imran

Registered Member
    Member No: 79266 thematrixz is an unknown quantity at this point thematrixz's Avatar

Yes | No

Yes

This is a well known problem with the E34, I had to replace the bushings every 30k miles or I'll get really bad vibes during braking, also causing uneven tire wear.

-----------------------------------------------------------

1999 540ITA Sports, Dinan CAI & software. M5 rear swaybar. Debadged for you pleasure.
    Phatbox now installed + in-dash CD
    M-Technik Aerodynamic

1999 528IT, no mods...yet

King

Yes | No

Just replaced my control arms for same problem.

Craig in Canada

Yes | No

I would say no

The sway bars are really only active when cornering. Braking evenly loads the left and right front wheels.

When I replaced my sway bar links it sharpened up medium-cornering stability and controllability and did nothing for braking.

Is it possible that after tightening up your steering you are only now able to feel the vibration? (or is it more severe than that). Something else could have been pried on or be loose from the same job. Are your wheels and hubs corrosion free at the mating surface? Corrosion can actually induce runout in the wheel/tire, but that shouldn't be a problem only when braking.

The #1 thing I would look at after all of these things is the tension strut (i6) or traction strut (V8) bushing.

Craig.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information