+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 39480 gwalkden is an unknown quantity at this point gwalkden's Avatar

Yes | No

Active steering failure

Had a bit of a worrying experience this morning... Half way round my favourite roundabout the active steering went dead, and all power assistance to the steering ceased. I got the "Active steering failure - restart engine" warning. I restarted the engine and it worked fine after that, but I'm worried it might happen again (I nearly left the road!). Has anyone experienced this, and (more importantly) got it fixed?

Thanks!

Graham (2004 645Ci)

Registered Member
    Member No: 4323 valhalla6 is an unknown quantity at this point valhalla6's Avatar

Yes | No

Yes, had it happen several months ago but not

Registered Member
    Member No: 113852 xukguy is an unknown quantity at this point xukguy's Avatar

Yes | No

main errors are caused by "low voltage"

The type of error you mention is caused by a low voltage reading and is usuallly corrected by the replacement of the battery under warranty - earlier 645 models had issues with this (mine included).

Once the battery was replaced everything was fine.

Hope this helps

Registered Member
    Member No: 128274 AussieBMW is an unknown quantity at this point AussieBMW's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Active steering failure

I have experienced the same failure.

Background: Have had 645Ci for 7 months. In that time I have had the following electronic failures:
    1. Complete electronics failure - rendered car undriveable
    2. Airbag warning light failures
    3. Drivers window malfunctioning
    4. Steering failure - complete !

The most recent failure was very worrying - no warning lights and unable to alter course of vehicle - 30-40km/hr. Braked to a stop. Turned off car and turned back on - reset. Drove straight to Dealer and after objective negotiations along the lines of not wanting to see the car again - have secured a new vehicle at no cost.

I'm not sure what the failure was - but I had no chance of getting the car around any corner. They inform me the fault was fixed however - I am greatful they have found me another 645Ci

Registered Member
    Member No: 127335 TimKay is an unknown quantity at this point TimKay's Avatar

Yes | No

When they told you they fixed it, did they tell you the remedy. Earlier it was mentioned a battery replace simply repaired the issue. Was it the same in your case?

Registered Member
    Member No: 128274 AussieBMW is an unknown quantity at this point AussieBMW's Avatar

Yes | No

Apparently it was much more than a battery replace - 2 separate computer units were replaced that were specific to the steering mechanism. I'm sorry I don't know exactly what was malfunctioning from a 'techo' point.

Registered Member
    Member No: 98482 bmwtech2003 is an unknown quantity at this point bmwtech2003's Avatar

Yes | No

What you experienced was not the loss of power steering but the loss of active steering. It feels so different when going from active steering to regular the many people feel like it looses all power assist. The system is designed to go into a failsafe mode that still has power steering available albiet not active. Have your dealer look at the vehicle. Could be a rack or software error. Have you had the vehicle updated lately?

Registered Member
    Member No: 116561 grahambishop is an unknown quantity at this point grahambishop's Avatar

Yes | No

Mine failed catastrophically in March and the whole unit had to be replaced. Took a week to get it fixed. No problems with the car since then. I have almost 21000 miles nowGraham

Registered Member
    Member No: 173101 marchrick is an unknown quantity at this point marchrick's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: main errors are caused by low voltage

I recently bought a 2006 650i and randomly get the low voltage warning and my clock will not hold the time. I brought it to the dealer and was told the car was not driven enough??? so they will not cover the battery. The car was driven approx. 9,000 miles per year and the dealer said it shoudl be over 10K per year. I have never heard this in my life.. has anyone ever experienced this. The dealer is Desert in Las vegas.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information