+ Reply to Thread
    Dr. Ross Tucker

Yes | No

Open trunk with dead battery

My battery went dead after leaving the XK8 without running it for a month and a half. As the battery is in the trunk, I needed to get at it to jump start the car. The trunk opener is electrically controlled. How do I get it open with a ded battery?

97xk8conv

Yes | No

Re: Open trunk with dead battery

Dr. Ross Tucker,

There is a trunk lock in the middle of the XK-8 logo on the trunk lid.

97xk8conv

Registered Member
    Member No: 103141 Z0RR0 is an unknown quantity at this point Z0RR0's Avatar

Yes | No

there is a spot for the key in the xk8 logo ... that does absolutely nothing.
    Only way I found was to "charge" the battery via the fusebox in the engine compartment. Very low amps, just enough to open the trunk.

Mike H

Yes | No

Keyslot works just fine in my '98

RHankey

Yes | No

The trunk key slot is 100% mechanical - as in, no power is required. But since the trunk key lock is seldom used, it may take a fair bit of penetrating oil and wiggling to free it up.

The second option is to attach a 12v battery to the fuse block in the engine bay, which provides sufficient power to pop the trunk. Don't try to start the engine this way.

bloodworm

Yes | No

time for some lube my friend......

Rickard_Stockholm

Yes | No

There's also more capable connector close to the fuse block, it's marked with a "+"-sign. I used myself for starting my car with an empty battery, no problem.

Paul Pavlik

Yes | No

Could blow 250 amp fuse!

The positive connectors in the engine compartment are fused at 250 amps back to the battery. If you try to use them to run the starter and the starter takes more than 250 amps, the fuse could blow.

KeithZ

Yes | No

Thanks for this string!
    Due to a comedy of errors I ended having the battery out of the car and locked the only key inside the trunk.
    So following the suggestions on here. Specifically under the hood. I use a length of 12G house wire (yes the jumper cables were in the trunk too) to connect the battery + to the bolt at the driver's side fuse box. It's at the top under the small rubber boot and the - to a bolt head on the body located under the plastic cover drivers side rear of the engine compartment. Power came on and truck release worked a chime.
    Thanks everyone! saved me a nagging from my wife!

Registered Member
    Member No: 79956 pav is an unknown quantity at this point pav's Avatar

Yes | No

Fot those that are interested, this is the connection that KeithZ has described:

2000 XKR BRG/Cashmere

zonker_rob

Yes | No

Trunk Keyhole Trick

Press down or sit on the trunk while turning the key, and use reasonably high pressure turning the key.

Bad Email Address on File
    Member No: 174564 premier1one is an unknown quantity at this point premier1one's Avatar

Yes | No

Hi there I am new to this forum and it looks like there alot of helpful people out there. My dilemma is the same in that I had no key ( i bought the car w/o keys from auction)...I tried that trick but to no avail. Towed my car to the dealer for new set of keys and key sync but something is stuck in the ignition lock cylinder. Does anyone know where I can get a new one or how to remove the old one so i can work on it other than laying down across the seats? My car is a 1997 Jaguar xk8. TIABruceM

Registered Member
    Member No: 173698 TestPoint is an unknown quantity at this point TestPoint's Avatar

Yes | No

Lost Post

Your post and question is lost in the noise of this old post.

Try posting a new thread.

Sorry I cannot help with your question.

Registered Member
    Member No: 157314 oldcat is an unknown quantity at this point oldcat's Avatar

Yes | No

Paul,
    I think I see a speck of dust just to the right of the ground connection.
    ;-)
    Oldcat

Registered Member
    Member No: 79956 pav is an unknown quantity at this point pav's Avatar

Yes | No

oldcat: I'd like to take credit for a Immaculate Engine Compartment, BUT, This was a picture that I downloaded (probably from a eBay listing). It's the same color as my car, but my engine is not quite as clean as the one shown.

2000 XKR BRG/Cashmere

Registered Member
    Member No: 131725 bullittbob is an unknown quantity at this point bullittbob's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Trunk Keyhole Trick

I just opened my trunk with the key, it has to be the Master key, the others will not work. My battery died due to antenna continuing to run while car was parked in garage. Glad I found this post so I could pull fuse and call road service for jump start. Didn't want to have to boost from under hood. Thanks for the tip.

Registered Member
    Member No: 165958 PAXKR is an unknown quantity at this point PAXKR's Avatar

Yes | No

Battery maintenance

Some extra tidbits for new owners.

1. The battery load with the car parked is fairly high due to all the electronics. If the car will be idle for more than two weeks it is critical to install a battery maintainer to keep the battery charged up. Otherwise there will be problems. If you go back through the thread history this is a very common problem. I get my maintainers from Harbor Freight but they are available from numerous sources.
    2. If the battery does get low the first thing to go is the window program. Be very careful when opening the door as they will not auto retract and you risk ripping out the expensive rubber seals at the top. The auto retract feature is there to protect the seals as they are easily torn.
    3. The maintainer can be used as backup power when changing the battery. This preserves all the programmed and adapted values. Just clip it to the cables before removing from the old battery.

DJAY

Yes | No

Re: Battery maintenance

Greetings. Iam new to this forum and am impressed with your knowledge. As i live in Montreal I stored my mint Florida XK8 98 with 40,000 miles for the winter.Is using a powerpack to boost the almost dead battery strait forward or is there something finniky I don't know about.Also,is there a way to reset the window memory?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information