+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

CWY 8888

Yes | No

Need E34 Driver Chair or can I fix this?

My seat back adjustment is gone. Motor still works, but only one side moves!! How do I fix this? New chair?

I have white / Tan leather, and has heat. Where can I get a new chair? What will fit?

Registered Member
    Member No: 31610 ExJxC is an unknown quantity at this point ExJxC's Avatar

Yes | No

Search for "seat twist"

Search for "seat twist" in the archives. Should find a lot of info. Dave525i has recently done with repair.

Eric

94 530i 123k-current
    91 525i 139k-161k-now with my sister

davez525

Yes | No

Good memory Eric!!

Yep. The seat twist demon struck me a few months back & its an easy fix.

A few people claim it can me fixed with the seat in the car but I couldnt do it so I removed it but Eric is right, search for "seat twist" or seat back twist & there are a few really good tutorials...(better than I could write) on it.

Dave.

Registered Member
    Member No: 94220 Bimmer5Michael is an unknown quantity at this point Bimmer5Michael's Avatar

Yes | No

I vote for a good LazyBoy Recliner!! ; - )

Michael
    00 540 Sport/6 speed

Registered Member
    Member No: 94220 Bimmer5Michael is an unknown quantity at this point Bimmer5Michael's Avatar

Yes | No

Might interest you to know that the problem

didnt go away with the E39...Yep you guessed they are experiencing the clicl, click stopping and turning!

I suppose some things never change

Michael
    00 540 Sport/6 speed

Gruss

Yes | No

Re: Might interest you to know that the problem

I did both of my front seats and the results were excellent. Removing the seats is an easy task. 2 bolts in the rear and a clip for the seat belt height adjuster. The seat clips in the front. Once you see how the seats come out you can remove one in about 10 minutes. You will need to remove the headrest for clearance. To remove the headrest extend them as high as possible and then with the palms of your hands pop them out.

The twist problem is from the cable twisting up over time which makes them shorter and they do not engage. The fix is to shorten the plastic housing so the cable will engage in the gearbox. I used my drill tightened on the cable to adjust the seat back even before reassembly. I even used the fix on my headrest. Search the archives, there is a detailed write on this procedure.

infstkaxqv

Yes | No

Re: Search for seat twist

jqrsnrtuiygrjis http://qukucrnnjyhjhip.com osycppbbkmynpbn

Registered Member
    Member No: 21055 cwy8888 is an unknown quantity at this point cwy8888's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Need E34 Driver Chair or can I fix this?

I also have heated seat, bottom half is shorted, so may be easier just change the whole damn seat. Any recommendations?

Registered Member
    Member No: 82373 rch99 is an unknown quantity at this point rch99's Avatar

Yes | No

move to warm climate

davez525

Yes | No

Re: move to warm climate

Im to afraid to recline mine now after fixing the "twist".

Nothing like driving 100 miles home with a death grip on the wheel to hold yourself up.

Registered Member
    Member No: 31610 ExJxC is an unknown quantity at this point ExJxC's Avatar

Yes | No

Its funny you say that

My seat started twisting when I was in VA on the way to NC (from PA) for a vacation. I was lucky because I was able to put it back up and it leveled out. I keep putting off the project so I just don't move the seat.

Eric

94 530i 123k-current
    91 525i 139k-161k-now with my sister

Shayne

Yes | No

Re: Need E34 Driver Chair or can I fix this?

A seat heat short is usually due to the supply wire getting pinched. When you remove the seat to repair it look for the white wire with a yellow stripe. Make sure it isn't broken or compromised.
    Also check the white wire with a blue stripe that supplies the seatback heater.
    Repair the break with a Stake-On connector (AKA but connector or crimp-on) unless you are proficient at soldering in which case get some shrink tubing and solder the break.
    There are paint on electrical 'tape' products you can use if the wire is only bared and not broken.
    If the seat itself is in good condition don't throw it away. Only rips and tears constitute a junk seat. Wear can be easily repaired using Color-Plus or Leatherique products.
    It may seem like a lot of work and possibly overwhelming but the hardest part is the actual removal and install and you'll have to do this anyway.
    Set aside some time and follow the instructions, take it easy, and you'll feel a sense of accomplishment once you fix it.

Also consider that finding a replacement white driver's seat with heat may be difficult and take time it nothing is available locally. Check your local breakers as well as online breakers like Vines.
    Any seat from any year of E34 or E32 will work. You may need to use your leather covers if the correct colour is unavailable. Again more work and effort than repairing yours.

Shayne
    525iTA

Registered Member
    Member No: 99761 tolerans is an unknown quantity at this point tolerans's Avatar

Yes | No

I had my twisted seat fixed but it seems that

one or two notches on the right side of the chair are missing, worn or frayed. So, I just don't lean my seat. I actually had the seat completely dissembled twice to fix the twist before I got to find out the solution online. I should have replaced the part with notches at the time. Now, I don't want to dissemble the chair again. It was a real pain to put everything back together. If anyone have had same experiece, let me know.

Jerry
    1989 525iA

Gruss

Yes | No

Here is the link to a write up

Here is the link to a write up

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information