+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 127991 zoomblur is an unknown quantity at this point zoomblur's Avatar

Yes | No

Euro style plates

Does anyone know if I can put euro style plates on front and back, or just front. I already have custom plates, but if I put the same numbers on the plate I think that should work. I have found a service in Ireland that will also stamp a "slogan" on the plate, so along with the number I can have "Texas - State of the Arts" on the bottom of the tags. I've seen these in the Dallas area on front and back, but has anyone else had any experience with these?

Rusty

Yes | No

I guess I could be wrong, but if you saw a

car with Euro plates on front and back my guess would be that:

(a) it was in fact a car that was recently imported
    (b) the guy eventually got busted. If I understand correctly, Euro plates are for the front only, and I know there was at least one company I looked at ordering from when I bought one for my roadster that specifically stated on the website that it was only for the front.

As far as getting using the signature of your real plates on the Euro one, sure, you can do that. I know FredR for one (down in Houston) went that way. At the moment, it's no more legal than not sporting a plate at all, but it could possibly buy some sympathy from the cop.

Rusty
    '05 330i ZHP in Imola

Registered Member
    Member No: 13509 lincoln30 is an unknown quantity at this point lincoln30's Avatar

Yes | No

It's not legal, or it wasn't a few years ago

The only time I've gotten a "no front plate" ticket was on a car that had a german plate that matched the lettering of my Texas plate on the back of the car. It's the only car I've owned with ANY front plate at all...so (in my experience) you are better off with NO plate at all instead of a euro plate with the correct numbers on it.
    You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely! - Ogden Nash

Registered Member
    Member No: 125824 Irish03 is an unknown quantity at this point Irish03's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Euro style plates

At least right now, the law still requires you to have Texas plates mounted on the front and back. Honestly I think the Euro plates draw more attention - and raise the likelihood of a "no front plate" ticket than if you just had no front plate at all.

Since I really wanted a personalized plate, I just ordered personalized Texas plates. IMHO they add to the looks of the car. I wanted a State of the Arts plate but since I wanted to use six letters I couldn't get one.

Registered Member
    Member No: 11893 ussgurke is an unknown quantity at this point ussgurke's Avatar

Yes | No

5 years with Euro plate in Ft Worth. No problem

User Level 8
    Member No: 6602 fredr is on a distinguished road fredr's Avatar

Yes | No

I've been running a Euro front plate for 7+ years

with my Texas registration number and not the first stop. But.....I would be very hesitant to run both a front and rear Euro plate.
    Fred
    96 1.9 Z3 black/tan/black
    97 M3/4 estoril/gray

Registered Member
    Member No: 171701 sedaeng is an unknown quantity at this point sedaeng's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Euro style plates

HB 309 - One Licnese plate starting Sep 2009

I was looking to replace BOTH plates with the actual issued numbers from the state of Texas.

anyways, I guess Ill get flamed for tagging a necro post :)

Rusty

Yes | No

HB 309 isn't a done deal.

It's been transferred to Dept of Transportation, unfortunately there have been similar bills that made it that far before being shot down.

We can hope, but in the last few years there's actually been a national trend where states are moving the other way, i.e. states that only required one plate moving back to requiring two plates. Law enforcement nationwide is throwing a lot at lobbying about this, and they're not lobbying the way you or I would hope.

Rusty
    '05 330i ZHP in Imola

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information