+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 92004 murray1016 is an unknown quantity at this point murray1016's Avatar

Yes | No

strange offer for a BMW I have for sale

I just recieved an offer on my BMW I have for sale through Roadfly. It seems kinda strange and I wanted to check to see if there has been any other issues about this. I recieved and e-mail from someone checking to see if it was still available and the price and location. I replied and then I recieved another e-mail saying they wanted it. The thing is, they said they were a service/company to find cars for clients. They said they had the money set aside for the car, but it had to be paid to me at cost plus 7500, and wanted me to refund with a cashiers check the 7500 by a certain date (6 days). I have no problem with that, but I want to check and see if this is a scam or not. Please let me know if anyone has any information on this.

elfhearse

Yes | No

Absolut Scammers

They send you a bad check for the car and you deposit it. While you're waiting for thier check to clear, you rush out the cashiers check for $7,500 to the scammers. They get your money, their check bounces, you're F**KED. Do a search for scammers... quite a big "business" right now.

Registered Member
    Member No: 92004 murray1016 is an unknown quantity at this point murray1016's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Absolut Scammers

I finally told them if they send more than the asking price, no refund will be issued, the cost of the car would be the actual $ value sent and I would not release the car until the issueing bank clears the check.

I haven't heard from them in 2 days. Thanks for all the help.

TedV

Yes | No

The Proper Response

is to say you want the money wired to you via Western Union. You'll never hear from them again. It is an old scam where they send you a real-looking counterfeit certified check, you wire the "extra" money back and find out a week later the check is fake. The bank takes it's money back and you are out overdraft fees and whatever you wired out.

FWIW, I actually followed through with one of these scams. The "certified check" arrived looking pretty damn legit, except they made one obvious error mispelling "Now York" :) The guy kept contacting me and we had some fun with him for a while. Finally ended it by asking the guy for contact info for the US Treasury Department. Never heard from him again.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information