+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 128118 Carl23 is an unknown quantity at this point Carl23's Avatar

Yes | No

Cooling system

Hi All,

I have just bought a 1971 3.0si, when i run the car at stand still for about 5 mins, the temp gauge goes up to the middle quite quickly, one side of the rad is hot and the other is cold.

I was thinking about the followng:

replace the water pump, replace the thermostat, flush the rad, and system, add good quality coolent.

Does any one have any recomendations, as far as i know all the parts on the car are original stock. The rad looks fine I just don't want to hit any overheating problems.

Also when does the fan kick in.

Many thanks Carl

Registered Member
    Member No: 47050 markokamargo is an unknown quantity at this point markokamargo's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Cooling system

it could be many things, but since you just acquired the car, it would be a good idea to replace the items you stated. also, it could be that your radiator is clogged or a faulty fan clutch. you don't have to purchase a new radiator since aluminum radiators can be serviced. remove it and take a to a radiator shop ($50 max).

marko

Carl23

Yes | No

Re: Cooling system

Hi Marko,

Thanks for the help, I have also found a small leak in the rad so I am going to get this re-cored as well. So apart from the fan that should be good overall of the cooling system.

Cheers Carl

Registered Member
    Member No: 15461 losgatos_dale is an unknown quantity at this point losgatos_dale's Avatar

Yes | No

FAQ Link with useful info

Since you're looking to get everything up to par, the attached FAQ link will be useful to you.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information