+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 110784 rockee is an unknown quantity at this point rockee's Avatar

Yes | No

Best way to remove tree sap

I have tried asking this before with no response, so here goes again.
    I left the car under a tee for a few nights and got some tree sap on a few spots. I have already tried bug and tar remover, and a hot towel to no avail. It is still in a few places and seems to adhered to the paint. With one car I left it on so long that it seemed to lift off a tiny section of clear coat. I want to try something non-abrasive since I tend to “overdo” things I’ve been told.

What is the best "safe" method? Should I try the clay bar and is there any chance at all this will take off the clear coat?

Steve Hammons

Yes | No

Re: Best way to remove tree sap

I have had good results with clay if the sap spot is relatively recent (like a day or so). Use a small amount of clay, lots of lube and no pressure on the painted surface. Then throw the clay away.
    For sap that has been on longer (apparently what you have) I would try Stoner's Tarminator. Spray it liberally on a clean, white cotton cloth and hold the saturated cloth on the sap spot for a few minutes (sometimes as long as 5 minutes) until you feel the sap start to move under light pressure. Then lightly blot it off. The Tarminator with remove wax, etc. but will not harm the clear coat. Good luck.

Registered Member

Yes | No

The sap has been on probably for more than a few days. I tried unsuccessfully to remove it with "Blue Coral Bug & Tar Remover" jel, and also a can of liquid Bug & Tar Remover from I think Turtle Wax. I'd prefer not to use an abrasive or mineral spirits. Where can I purchase the "Tarminator" and could I use a clay bar even after this time period?

Snobird

Yes | No

web site

http://www.tarminator.com/index.htm

MattMPa

Yes | No

Re: web site

I once was parked near a tree at a car show and the Plymouth has little sap dots all over.

I do keep my cars well Zaino'd, so that helps to keep that sort of stuff from adhering.

I found that very cold water worked wonders. It hardened the sap and it picked off easily.

Registered Member

Yes | No

What to try next?

I have tried the folllwing to remove the sap with NO LUCK:
    Blue Coral Bug and Tar Remover (gel)
    Turtle-Wax Bug and Tar Remover (liquid)
    Stoner's Tarminator (spray)

I have also seen the following as methods for severe sap removal. Please comment if you have had experience, and also any chance of harm to the paint:
    Clay Bar (Clay Magic, Mother's)
    3M Wax and Adhesive Remover
    S-100 or P21S cleaner
    Margarine
    Mineral Spirits

TOGWT

Yes | No

Tree Resin (Sap) Removal-

Tree Resin (Sap):
    (Appears like a dark brown/ red coloured surface mark) some of the most common resinous tree sap types are: White Pine, Maple, Oak, Popular, and Blue Spruce, none of which are water soluble, the acidic content of the sap will etch the paint surface, causing a concave surface.

These can be removed by using detailer's clay to remove any hardened surface deposits and then using either Isopropyl alcohol (ISP) or if that doesn’t remove it use a machine polish, Iz einzett TM Metallic Polish or Iz einzett TM Paint Polish and a cutting (LC Orange or Yellow) foam pad (speed # 4) to level the surface, reapply surface protection once spots have been removed (to remove sap etching from glass see Water Spots)

Factors as to the amount of time it takes to remove sap and what damage it has caused are dependent on temperature and time the sap has been on the paint surface. Be careful and take your time removing it, remember always let the products do the work for you.

Tree sap that is still soft can be removed by soaking with Isopropyl Alcohol (or Stoner’s Terminator) wet the area with the product and allows it to remain on the surface for 3-5 minutes, then wipe with soft dry towel. For tree sap that has hardened, carefully scrape the top of the spot off with a plastic razor blade to expose the softer sap inside.

Soak a towel with the solvent placing it over the sap and let soak for 10-minutes, repeat in order for the solvents to break down the sap, once it’s removed re-apply sealant / wax protection of your choice.
    Some saps will lift and crack the paint, this damage will require refinishing. Turpentine is made from tree resins, in severe cases it can be used to break down the resin in tree sap, use as a last resort only and use sparingly and do not rub hard and give it some time to work.
    JonM

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Tree Resin (Sap) Removal-next steps

FYI, Stoner's did nothing for the sap. I went out and bought it after already using 2 other remover products.

I just can't get used to the idea of using mineral spirits to remove the sap - I would think logically it would break down the clear coat.

I think next I will try, not sure which one first:
    Margarine
    S100 wash
    Clay bar
    3M Adhesive remover

When I'm all done I'll put on a coat of Klasse AIO, followed by S100 (been told it's same as P21S) wax and hope this never happens again, or if it does the Klasse and wax will make it easy to remove.

Steve Hammons

Yes | No

Whoa, that is some stubborn sap. The Tarminator has always worked for me. I would try clay next and then the 3M. S100 wash will be no different that any other shampoo and as far as margarine, don't even waste your time. If the sap is that hard then margarine will just make an oily mess that you will regret doing.
    One more thing...and I do not mean to sound flippant: Are you sure the stains are sap? Could they maybe be industrial contaminants or overspray from a construction site, etc?
    Best of luck.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Thanks for he reply.

No, they are sap. The reason I know is that the car was under a tree which caused other sap spots, some of which came off caused swirls in another area. This particular area came off partially with heavy wiping, and I don't want to repeat the mistake of causing swirls in this area. I can feel the bumps. I would say they are probably 1/32" high at most This is another clue. On this car, which is black, the sap looks black, and on my other car which is a gold-mist, it looks almost clear.

OK. I will forget the margarine and S100 and go for the clay next and hope.

cmc540

Yes | No

I have found the best way to remove tree sap is to rub lightly with a soft towel that has been moistened with rubbing alcohol. A car detailer told me this trick and I didn't believe him at first but it definitely works. Removes the sap and doesn't harm the paint. Works better than any of the "Tar & Bug" products I've tried. Good luck!

ONE HAPPY SAP

Yes | No

OMG THE RUBBING ALCOHOL WORKED LIKE MAGIN IN TAKING OFF THE OAK TREE SAP, I CAN'T BELIEVE I GOT SUCH GREAT ADVICE ON THIS WEBSITE, THANK YOU SO MUCH

Registered Member
    Member No: 181247 bestonetire is an unknown quantity at this point bestonetire's Avatar

Yes | No

ahhh try beats um all! youll love it

User Level 1
    Member No: 191545 dingosauce is an unknown quantity at this point dingosauce's Avatar

Yes | No
    Spray on Wd40. Let it sit for a minute then wipe off with clean rag. Works every time!
    Last edited by dingosauce; 04-19-2012 at 10:10 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 99.11.153.234

User Level 1
    Member No: 191545 dingosauce is an unknown quantity at this point dingosauce's Avatar

Yes | No
    Use Wd40, let it sit a minute then wipe with clean rag. Works every time!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 99.11.153.234

User Level 1
    Member No: 193154 Tommysk is an unknown quantity at this point Tommysk's Avatar

Yes | No
    Just go to the Family Dollor Store and get a bottle of Totaly Awsume Cleaner for $1.00 and poof no more sap and you can use it on almost every other cleaning in the house
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 75.64.174.246

User Level 1
    Member No: 194736 sap_remover is an unknown quantity at this point sap_remover's Avatar

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by ONE HAPPY SAP View Post
    OMG THE RUBBING ALCOHOL WORKED LIKE MAGIN IN TAKING OFF THE OAK TREE SAP, I CAN'T BELIEVE I GOT SUCH GREAT ADVICE ON THIS WEBSITE, THANK YOU SO MUCH
    I second the effectiveness of rubbing alcohol. The pine sap had been on my shiny black car for quite a while and it came off in less than a minute with hardly any rubbing. Thanks to whoever posted this suggestion.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 24.151.125.47

User Level 1
    Member No: 193764 huahuafood is an unknown quantity at this point huahuafood's Avatar

Yes | No
    I also very much agree with this view.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 209.73.157.71

User Level 1
    Member No: 196106 greenglow is an unknown quantity at this point greenglow's Avatar

Yes | No

Isopropal Alchohol

Thanks for the tip on the alcohol I tried Stoners Tarminator, which works, but sure seems very toxic. It is also slow compared to this. My car is covered-we live in the woods. I got 90% alcohol and pitch that has been on for weeks came off with little effort.
    Thanks again.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 68.116.199.115

Registered Member
    Member No: 198743 ILuvDetailing is an unknown quantity at this point ILuvDetailing's Avatar

Yes | No
    After taking off that nasty tar, put on a coat or two of sealant so if tar falls on it again it'll have some protection
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 49.144.55.126

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information