+ Reply to Thread
    Kenneth 1948

Yes | No

Symptoms of Bad Transmission Oil Pump?

The 4 hp 22 (non-electronic) transmission on my 84 733 started to slip. It still shifted OK and all gears including reverse worked but slipped when accelerating.
    I priced re-builds & a used (correct) transmission and both options were expensive (I only paid $1500 for the car) so I bought a used 325 transmission with torque converter from a guy who has treated me well in the past with used parts. Swapped bell housing and rear flange and mounts, bolted it up and have the SAME IDENTICAL PROBLEM! The transmission slips in all gears and feels exactly the same as the other one.

So I went back over everything I did and I have a theory. When I swapped the bell housing, I also swapped the intermediate plate assembly which has the oil pump attached. I did this for a stupid reason, the plate on the old tranny was nice and clean and the connections for the pipes/hoses looked a little different although in the same place so I did not think (obviously) and put the old oil pump back. And now I have the same symptoms.

Probably answered my own question, the problem was the oil pump but, before I go to the trouble of taking the transmission out again, thought I would ask:

Are my transmission slipping problems the symptoms of a failed/failing oil pump?

Thanks,

John aka Kenneth

Registered Member
    Member No: 89264 jchris is an unknown quantity at this point jchris's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Symptoms of Bad Transmission Oil Pump?

Yes, it could be; but are you sure that the oil level is right? I know you've probably checked it already, but a low oil level will cause pretty much the exact same problem (and sometimes the dipstick will give improper readings if the transmission isn't at the right temperature). There also could be a problem with the pressure regulator or the valve body. It would probably be a good idea to connect a pressure gauge before you remove the whole transmission again.

Kenneth 1948

Yes | No

A Response! Thank You, no-one seems to be into ...

Transmissions too much on this board, perhaps they don't have problems with theirs.
    Oil level OK but you're right, it wasn't fully up to temperature. I added 8 quarts as I had drained the torque converter, not sure what it's supposed to hold?
    Although valve body or regulator problems are possible, remember the tranny in the car now, has the identical symptoms to the old one. Possible but not that likely that two transmissions in a row have the same problem, right down to the same amount of slip. Feels like the exact same transmission.
    I have ordered the parts to re-build the A clutch pack while I have it apart this time and I'll switch the oil pumps and post again after next weekend when my parts arrive and I get all of this done and back in the car.

Thanks so much for your input, I had about given up on this post.

John aka Kenneth

Registered Member
    Member No: 89264 jchris is an unknown quantity at this point jchris's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: A Response! Thank You, no-one seems to be into ...

Oh, ok I was thinking you had reinstalled the original valve body. 8 quarts is the listed capacity i think, but I would check the oil level with the transmission hot anyway. Sometimes the service manual is wrong, and 1-2 quarts low will cause the transmission to slip. Anyway, good luck with the repairs; I'll be interested to hear how it comes out.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information