+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Kurt

Yes | No

118d vs 120d only different software?

hi

back in a 1er last week since Europcar had to sell the Tigra, and had no other converitbles at the moment..

This time its a 118d instead of the 116i petrol I had earlier in the year.
    Just curious, from the specs this looks like the same motor as the 120, so is it purely a matter of software? Same turbo, injection system etc?

The 118 has more go than the 116, and compared to the 2L tdi A3 and 1.9L Golf I've driven, a sweeter motor. But a diesel is, unfortunatly, a diesel.

Strange options on these beemers - this one has the navi like the other one (but now can't eject the Navi disc to listen to CDs!!! effing europcar won't give out the pin #...), but only has the parking distance/radar on the rear bumper instead of all around. Small thing, but the software, wires, flip up screen etc were there, how much more could a 3 or 4 tiny sensors have cost...

cheers
    Kurt
    Görlitz Germany

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kedelb...d4.jpg&.src=ph

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kedelb...d4.jpg&.src=ph

Kurt

Yes | No

ok no answers

then advice: don't get the BMW "Business" navi system, if you are thinking about it. idrive simply blows.
    Good little car though, 118d cruises at over 200kph for about 11-12L/100km, faster and less thirsty vs. the Audi 2L tdi. Gear lever is rubbery and balky, a letdown. Funny really that such a slow revver allows the traction control to be COMPLETELY turned off. Good only on the track or icy parking lots :/
    Remote door unlock is fantastic with range and slim key/memory stick form.
    Kurt

Bob 325

Yes | No

I think the problem is that no one knows, but...

I recon basically with the engine being the same engine size that the difference is software, possibly different cams, and maybe a different intake setup?

Just guessing, my wife has a 118d and it is fast.

Kurt

Yes | No

I think a lot of it has to do with German taxes

don't know the letter of the law, but annual car taxes here are greatly dependant on engine displacement/emmissions, so guessing the 118 is tuned for lower tailpipe emissions than the 120, since AFAIK displacement is the same.

Would love to try a 1er with a nice 6 cylinder gas motor, the chassis can handle MUCH more power.

cheers
    Kurt

http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/who/img/v421.jpg

Bob 325

Yes | No

Ditto on the 6 cyl, I can't wait to have a go in

the 130i when it arrives, I am seriously considering trading my trusty 325 for one (should be enough for the deposit).

1 lover

Yes | No

Funny..why would they do that.

johnh

Yes | No

Re: 118d vs 120d only different software?

intake and turbo must be different. couldn't just be software, there's a substantial power difference even tho displacement is same. US has same issue with new 3.0 six cylinder - 325 and 330 have same displacement (3.0) ... but 330 is considerably more powerful.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information