+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Thomas

Yes | No

Cayenne offers Parking Heater Option

In 2004 the Cayenne came out with a new feature called a Pre-heater (or Parking Heater). This system allows the owner to preset a time when the vehicles independent heating system comes on and heats the interior and defrosts the windshield. This feature was taken off the market because of homologation issues and is now coming back and I would like to understand if people who have the feature have used it and what is your opinion. This feature is very environmental friendly since it heats the vehicle with the "engine-off" and uses 8 times less fuel than remote start, and produces 1% of the emissions of remote start. Your feedback will be appreciated.

Registered Member
    Member No: 114471 HurtinUnit is an unknown quantity at this point HurtinUnit's Avatar

Yes | No

sounds like a good idea

Can the battery handle it? How long does it take to warm up? Does it work at -30C?

Registered Member
    Member No: 29953 BMWguy22 is an unknown quantity at this point BMWguy22's Avatar

Yes | No

my exact q'ns!!!

BMW: The closest relationship between man and machine
    88 Delphine grey 325is

Jim Cash

Yes | No

Re: Cayenne offers Parking Heater Option

BMW, and others in Europe have had this for years. It is activated by the timer as you mention, or via an optional remote control radio transmitter.

Uses the same fuel as the engine, and has it's own exhaust system. It is not a simple system. BMW also has the "latent" heat system that is similar but uses engine heat stored in a special brine tank to reheat the car without using any fuel system.

Neither of these have been made available in North America.

Cheers
    Jim Cash

Registered Member
    Member No: 29953 BMWguy22 is an unknown quantity at this point BMWguy22's Avatar

Yes | No

WTF!!!! We canucks would beneft most from this!!!

considering our -35 average temp. inters on the prairies!!!!!

I dont' understand what would inhibit them from making it available for other markets as well?!?!?!?!?!?!!

jeff

Yes | No

I am currently trying to install the BMW independent heater in my 2003 X5 4.4. It is made by a company called Webasto and in Europe it is an option on most BMWs. It is not available in North America. I ordered the retrofit kit from Germany. So far, it is not working! In America, it is called BLUE-Heat, and is made by Webasto, which has its U.S. headquarters in Detroit. You can get it installed in numerous vehicles like a Jeep Grand Cherokee or a Cadillac Escalade, but of course not a BMW. Go figure. There is a list of dealers on the Blue Heat web site.

Jim Cameron

Yes | No

Jeff,

I have been through your exact situation last winter, only with a 7 series. I ordered a retro-fit kit from Europe, installed the unit and took it to a dealership for activation. Unfortunately, there is a difference between North American and European engine control modules that prevent my car from recognizing the pre-heater (Standheizung on the diagnostic software).

I haven't heard anything about this being available in NA yet but don't understand why it wouldn't. Any ideas on where to go for more information?

-Jim

Thomas

Yes | No

Just to clear up a few points I spoke with a representative from Porsche and they said the heater does use some battery power, but very little and it is designed not to kill the battery. They also said it is designed to work down to -40 as long as the fuel does not freeze the heater will work.

Does anyone have one on their Cayenne? Do you use it and how do you like it?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information