+ Reply to Thread
    johnw

Yes | No

Differential grind noise removed with #83222282583

Grinding was bad when cold and was starting to show up in severe turns even when hot (75K miles). Dealer knew nothing about new oil, always used SAF-XJwhich he used when my diffy oil was changed at Insp 2. New kit easy to put in, comes in 3-small squeeze bottles. Allen wrench needed 14 mm, tough to find the allen wrench or socket. Cost of socket $18, cost of oil kit $23 with club discount. Also got the Bentley E46M3 manual earlier which helped some. Oil had to be ordered from Germany, parts dept never had heard of any ordered before my order. Took 4-days. I quess BMW has a real problem with this diffy-grind as pointed out in the many messages on the web. If you let it go too long, permanent damage can occur. Diffy's cost to install around $2800. Seems like this is another chronic problem following the M3's rodbearing incident. Maybe in time BMW will make sure all their M3s have this proper diffy-oil to curtail this problem before it gets even more widespread and worse. Thanks to all the Roadfly M3 owners with grind problems for their help in solving what could have been a very expensive repair for me.

Registered Member
    Member No: 48700 modeyaka is an unknown quantity at this point modeyaka's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Differential grind noise removed with #83222282583

This seems to be what I have been experiencing too. When you say "Differential grind noise" is it more like a diff whine? I posted a note re this y'day and seems many folks have heard this noise, except of course our friendly BMW technicians. This I find to be VERY frustrating not to mention time consuming (I have taken it to service depts in CA and MD).

Refer link http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/e46m3/6874660-1.html

sal

Yes | No

Re: Differential grind noise removed with #83222282583

Hello John, i'm from the UK and was wondering where i could get this diff oil from as my diff is making the same noise as you've described and, want to sort it before it gets beyond repair.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
    Sal

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information