+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 130177 dresser1 is an unknown quantity at this point dresser1's Avatar

Yes | No

1999 Z3 roadster rear suspension

just purchased a 1999 Z3 roadster with 65,000 miles on the odometer. looking at the rear i noticed the rear wheels are slightly angled in at the top and the rear tires show more wear on the inside. is this normal or could the rear springs be starting to sag?

stpetez3

Yes | No

Normal to a point...

That is normal due to design. You can improve it slightly if serious, but it will never be perfect. The is no adjustment on the stock design. If there is a big top to bottom difference, you may wear the tires on the inside more so. Just watch your tire wear.

Registered Member
    Member No: 130177 dresser1 is an unknown quantity at this point dresser1's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Normal to a point...

thanks,

i plan on rotating tires every 5,000 to extend tire life.

Terry - Highwayman II
    Member No: Terry - Highwayman II's Avatar

Yes | No

Rotate if you want...

though some of us think that is a bad idea.

Apart from that...rotating won't help with the wear issue you describe. Z3s are designed with a bit of negative camber (wheels lean in at the top) so that when driving in higher speed cornering situations, the tires straighten up and present maximum contact with the road.

If you are seeing very noticeable wear on the tires on your reasonably high mileage car, you may want to think about starting fresh...with new rubber all around. Should you want to do any serious (fun) driving, you don't want to have to worry about old/worn tires causing problems.

Terry

Registered Member
    Member No: 59736 m165766 is an unknown quantity at this point m165766's Avatar

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by dresser1 View Post
    thanks,

i plan on rotating tires every 5,000 to extend tire life.
    BMW manual didn't recommend rotation. I have 135K on my Z3, don't rotate and never have had abnormal wear running most city/highway as a daily driver until I retired two years ago. I am not a gentle driver.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 72.161.133.217

Registered Member
    Member No: 163455 mow2000 is an unknown quantity at this point mow2000's Avatar

Yes | No
    I have the shop rotate left to right (inside to outside) and seem to be having luck with that. When I get an alignment I tell them to do the front only (rear are not adjustable). Some places will automatically charge for a four-wheel alignment so asking for a two-wheel will save you some money. The two times I've had it aligned they have given me the rear alignment numbers.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 167.225.107.17

User Level 8
    Member No: 6602 fredr is on a distinguished road fredr's Avatar

Yes | No
    We've had this conversation before haven't we!

Quote Originally Posted by Terry - Highwayman II View Post
    though some of us think that is a bad idea.

Apart from that...rotating won't help with the wear issue you describe. Z3s are designed with a bit of negative camber (wheels lean in at the top) so that when driving in higher speed cornering situations, the tires straighten up and present maximum contact with the road.

If you are seeing very noticeable wear on the tires on your reasonably high mileage car, you may want to think about starting fresh...with new rubber all around. Should you want to do any serious (fun) driving, you don't want to have to worry about old/worn tires causing problems.

Terry
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 98.20.62.116

Registered Member
    Member No: 12416 ZeattleDave2002 is an unknown quantity at this point ZeattleDave2002's Avatar

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by fredr View Post
    We've had this conversation before haven't we!
    HaHa! Actually, you just got up on the wrong side of the luggage rack.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 216.186.67.31

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information