+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Air Pump

Registered Member
    Member No: 128356 vcompetello is an unknown quantity at this point vcompetello's Avatar

Yes | No

Air Pump

Ok this is probably the stupidest thing I've asked in this forum but I have my reasons. I had a few posts about a backfiring problem in the exhaust and I always thought it was an air/fuel mixture problem. Now that I've been looking around the car I realize there's no air pump to pump air into the exhaust. Now my question is will this really make that much of a difference. The car really only backfires when idling, sometimes during decelration, and ALWAYS when I get off the gas and don't hit the clutch. I know this is a really dumb question because the air pump is specifically there to reduce backfiring in the exhaust but why would the guy who had the car before me have it removed if it was going to cause problems?? Thanks for any help.

Vinnie

al83s

Yes | No

Re: Air Pump

Hi.
    I disconnected my Air pump because it was making noise.
    I disconnected it , noice gone, and absolutely no difference in the way car runs, and no backfiring. I even bought a new bearing, but decided to do that fix later.
    Sorry, but I can't help more.

EuroShark

Yes | No

My car does the exact same thing with the air pump. I'm going to try replacing my 02 sensor. I heard if you blow a certain vac line off the motor your car will do that. My motor was just rebuilt, and the car only developed the problem after i started to rev it up. That is another thing i'm going to look at (i'll probably replace all the vac lines)

Barney

Yes | No

When I got rid of the cats I had no place to pump air so I just let it pump to the great outdoors. No backfire and no indication of anything different although the elimination of the cats was a big improvement.

Registered Member
    Member No: 128356 vcompetello is an unknown quantity at this point vcompetello's Avatar

Yes | No

I have the fuel distributor apart right now looking for a solution. If I can't find anything there I really don't feel like sinking more money into an air pump because I don't have a core. My father says he has a smoke machine for finding disconnected vaccuum lines. I've never heard of it but I'll let you know if I find anything that fixes this problem. The only other thing I can think of is the fuel regulator and the injector seals. I've already checked the seals but I'm still looking into the regulator.

EuroShark

Yes | No

Barney did you just swap the cats out or do a whole exhaust? My exhaust is going to be a 2.5 in to a 3 in straight pipe and i'm looking forward to the horsepower increase.
    Vinne i've got a known working air pump that i'd be willing to sell you off my 1978.

CLIVE

Yes | No

IF YOU ARE GETTING BACKFIRING WHEN YOU BACK OF , IT IS PROBABLY BEING CAUSED BY AN AIR LEAK IN THE EXHAUST, IF THE AIR PUMP HAS BEEN REMOVED ,MAKE SURE THE PORT IN THE EXHAUST HAS BEEN BLOCKED OFF.
    THE AIR PUMP IS ORIGINALLY FITTED TO REDUCE POLLUTION , NOT TO REDUCE BACKFIRING

Barney

Yes | No

Mine is an '87 and I understand that the pre-'87 cars are a little different so you want to check your car against what I write here:
    1. I sawed off the pipes leading into the double cat assy just above the curve where the pipe enters the cat.
    2. Once sawed off, the cat assy can be dropped to the floor anslid out of the mufflers. You might want to replace the O2 sensor and, if so, clip the wires as far up as you can.
    3. The pipes are slightly larger than 2" as they are metric so you want to get a good muffler shop to make up the new pipes that will take the place of the cats. Best to bring the cat assy in and let them custom bend the pipes and make the flares.
    4. On my unit the O2 sensor is in a crossover on the cat assy. I put out a search on this board and could not find any info about a crossover. Going back to my hot rod days of fifty years ago I know we didn't use crossovers on Ford and Chevy engines so I just had a "bung" welded onto one of the pipes and stuck a new sensor into it. Seems to work fine. Might become a problem if a cylinder on that side got sick.
    5. I put the whole thing back together with pipe clamps. The result is a car with a deeper tone that doesn't sound objectionable enough to alert the highway parasites. Gas mileage is improved and the overall performance is better.

Barney

Yes | No

For Euroshark re cat

At the end of this thread is a dialogue about my cat removal. If you look at my dialogue on 7-28-05 re: Cat Conv Bypass there's a little more info.

al83s

Yes | No

Ignition timing?

Your ignition timing may be off and it will propably cause backfiring.
    It may be due to disconnected vacuum line to the ignition distributor.
    (there are 2 lines that goes from the throttle body to the circle thing on top of ignition distributor. Check it, my one was dsconnected under the spyder.
    Just a thought.
    Good luck

Registered Member

Yes | No

I know the air pump is to reduce emissions but I thought it did that by allowing the gas to burn evenly in the exhaust. Without it the gas would build up and a large amount of hot gas would hit a large amount of air near the end of the pipe and detonate causing the backfiring.

As far as buying the air pump (EuroShark) I'm interested but not really at the moment. I'm in the middle of restoring the entire interior and I want to finish that before I get to work on the mechanical stuff. I'll keep it in mind but if you get an offer for the pump don't pass it up on my behalf.

Registered Member
    Member No: 186568 Boaf32 is an unknown quantity at this point Boaf32's Avatar

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by al83s View Post
    Hi.
    I disconnected my Air pump because it was making noise.
    I disconnected it , noice gone, and absolutely no difference in the way car runs, and no backfiring. I even bought a new bearing, but decided to do that fix later.
    al83S,
    I have an 86 1/2 928S. Where did you purchase the bearing for the Air Pump? I have not been able to find just the bearing? My bearing squeaks when running. I ad WD 40 to the bearing and the squeak goes away (until the oil burns off.

Thanks,

Boaf
    Boaf
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 75.97.121.70

Registered Member
    Member No: 186568 Boaf32 is an unknown quantity at this point Boaf32's Avatar

Yes | No
    [QUOTE=al83s;10473712]Hi.<br>
    I disconnected my Air pump because it was making noise.<br>
    I disconnected it , noice gone, and absolutely no difference in the way car runs, and no backfiring. I even bought a new bearing, but decided to do that fix later.<br>

I have an 86 1/2 928S; Where did you purchase the bearing for the Air Pump?&nbsp; I have not been able to find just the bearing?&nbsp; My bearing squeaks when running.&nbsp; I ad WD 40 to the bearing and the squeak goes away (until the oil burns off.<br><br>Thanks,<br><br>Boaf
    Last edited by Boaf32; 02-16-2016 at 09:36 AM.
    Boaf
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 75.97.121.70

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information