+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 22484 jbcoop is an unknown quantity at this point jbcoop's Avatar

Yes | No

93 M5 Throwing Stars Direction

Probably this question has been discussed many times, but this is my first post to the group, and there was an active discussion at the 2005 Consorso Italiano BMW Corral this past weekend about the correct direction that the E34 M5 throwing stars should point.

I have knowledge from my body shop expert in the San Jose area that BMW labels their asymmetric part numbers with, I think, an odd part number for the left side of the car, and an even part number for the right side of the car. Since the throwing stars are asymmetric, i.e. the left and right are different, the part numbering scheme falls under this definition.

Whatever the part number/side of car part number direction, it boils down to the correct part numbers for the left/right side of the car. Using this part numbering scheme, the correct direction, according to my body shop expert, for the throwing stars is to have the blunt edge facing the direction of rotation. This is opposite from the direction that intuitively appears from looking at the throwing star covers. Anyway, with the covers in the direction I described, the car looks like it is moving even at rest, which adds to the looks of the car. And aerodynamics for brake cooling kind of make sense that the blunt edge should face the direction of rotation, if it is thought about enough. The blunt edge will create a high pressure area. If the streamlined edge is facing the direction of rotation, it would create a low pressure area near the brakes, directing external airflow away from the brakes, not toward them. But, I am not an aerodynamic engineer, and I have not been able to find photos of the original setup. Any aerospace engineers out there that could explain this???

The funny thing is that in pictures in magazines and on the web, I have seen both directions shown. You probably have, also. I have even seen cars in magazines that have different directions for the front and rear wheels, which makes no sense whatsoever.

So I am willing to undergo any flaming and discussion about this subject, just to try to get at a consensus about this....

Thanks,
    Jeff Cooper
    San Jose, CA

carrerajoe

Yes | No

don't know proper; they look best pointing reverse

Have studied them both ways on my (former) E34M5 and
    just my opinion but aesthetically they look much better 'pointing' in the backwards direction;
    meaning- pointing counter-clockwise for the passenger side,
    clockwise for driver side.

Since my car was a '91, I figured the purity aspect was already spoiled by adding TStars (oem were turbine covers), so I just went with most attractive config. Turbines served functional aerodynamic role, TStars probably much less so.

cyrcil

Yes | No

Re: 93 M5 Throwing Stars Direction

Although I sold my M5 I'll give you my .02c. First, I believe that the correct direction is for the thin, pointed edges to rotate forward. Second, this is probably substantiated by the parts numbers (though I haven't checked recently) and moreover the BMW parts Dept. can clearly give you the specifications. Third, a hint of the true specs can be gleamed by looking at the original BMW brochures and press photos which can be found on-line, etc. Fourth, the aerodynamic issue is a myth: while the original system I turbine covers were designed for brake cooling, the system II throwing star covers were more of a cosmetic change (for perspective look at the back of the wheels - the spokes are pretty non-aerodynamic when rotating in either direction). Fifth, people always "do" what they want (you'll even see cars with the front and rear wheels pointed in opposite directions, say on Ebay...).
    ...Dan.

Registered Member
    Member No: 87388 icm5er is an unknown quantity at this point icm5er's Avatar

Yes | No

I have read somewhere that many europeans purposely have the front wheel T star covers pointed properly and the rears installed backwards as a stylish statement.

Either way, I believe the proper installation is to have the "blade" and or point facing forward on both sides of the car.

Registered Member
    Member No: 87388 icm5er is an unknown quantity at this point icm5er's Avatar

Yes | No

Some purposely install them backwards...

This european owner has his T stars installed backwards in the photos, note his comment near the bottom of his cars vehicle history under "Special Notes", he has since re-installed the T stars in the proper direction.

Registered Member
    Member No: 22484 jbcoop is an unknown quantity at this point jbcoop's Avatar

Yes | No

Well, I just received, via Ebay from a seller in England, a factory brochure for the M models in 1993 that shows that the correct direction is reverse of the direction I originally posted about. They are pointing with the thinner, pointed edge facing the direction of rotation.

I stand corrected.

Jeff

Registered Member
    Member No: 108417 blackshiftM5 is an unknown quantity at this point blackshiftM5's Avatar

Yes | No

Jeff,

We met at the concorso. I posted the same question on the yahoo group and got pretty much the same response.

Eric Lee
    91 M5 blk/blk
    Monterey, CA

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/bmwe34m5/message/45336

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information