+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 73411 redl1nerpm is an unknown quantity at this point redl1nerpm's Avatar

Yes | No

opinions on used M?

Ive been looking at e36 M3's and e34 M5's. They're both in generally the same price range and seem like great cars. So I was wondering if anyone had opinions on which would be a better buy (of course you guys may be a bit one-sided). I know the M3's are good cars and in these last few years have been driven by younger groups. The M5's may have some of that as well. Both are probably about as fast as the other stock. So which would be more preferable? I dont want a convertible, and if I chose the M3 it would be a coupe. What problems or worries will I have when finding an M5? I see so many with real high mileage so they must last pretty long.1995 XJR

Registered Member
    Member No: 87388 icm5er is an unknown quantity at this point icm5er's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: opinions on used M?

My opinion, given two cars (M3 and M5) that have been equally cared for, in same condition / and cost; you rarely see an E34 M5 and when you do it is almost always driven by an adult. On the other hand, M3's are more common and for the most part I believe are driven by a younger crowd. Therefore, I prefer the M5, as it is perceived as the Big Brother to the M3 and is perceived for a more mature audience / driver.

Of course none of that comes into play when I decide to downshift into 3d gear and mash the throttle just to feel the pull from 80-120mph (c;

SNR

Yes | No

"Of course none of that comes into play when I decide to downshift into 3d gear and mash the throttle just to feel the pull from 80-120mph (c;"

Isn't that the truth. These cars bring out the kid in all of us.

Registered Member
    Member No: 108417 blackshiftM5 is an unknown quantity at this point blackshiftM5's Avatar

Yes | No

Mike,

The E34 is probably faster in stock trim (500 lb more, but 70 hp more + 25 more from a chip). A stock E34 has more potential for appreciation because it's rarer. But a STOCK E36 may be very rare too! But an E36 can be tuned way easier to blow away most E34s. way more parts, and motor has more room to put out more power w/o less danger than the high strung S38.

M5 specific E34 parts are more expensive than E36 M3s, especially drivetrain. S38 rebuilds are $10-18k, S50 rebuilds are $6k, I think.

as old as they are, there are a surprising number of low-ish (<130k) mileage E34 M5s.

perhaps it comes down to how many doors you need.

Eric
    91 M5

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information