+ Reply to Thread
    Phil

Yes | No

my ///M killed by a W :

holy, I raced a WRX STi, today, 3 times, once from a light, second time from a standing start and third time rolling at 60mph and that biatch smoked my E34 M5's [Oops!] so bad, Im still reeling in pain..faak those things are lightening quick, basically a completely different class of car. My M5 PIG was beaten so badly, I now consider my once vaunted old beast as slowpoke. Our precious was fast but newer generation stock imports are now light years ahead. : <

Registered Member
    Member No: 69031 diggin02s is an unknown quantity at this point diggin02s's Avatar

Yes | No

Man I feel your pain...

A friend of mine bought an evo 8 and I knew it was only a matter of time before we went door to door. Well the day happen when we were both driving to a car show. Traffic was light, we were both at a red light and then....the light turned green and we both lunged out as fast as possible. He started to walk away from me at about the top end of second, until then I could stay pretty close to his rear bumper. On another note, that same friend and I met at a red light on the way home getting ready to merge onto the highway. It's a beautiful uphill onramp that has a left hand curve with a slight decreasing radius to it. Well, I was able to take him on the OUTSIDE very easily. We tried it again because he just couldn't believe it. And again, we entered the curve with him about 1-2 car lengths ahead, and by the time we exitied the curve I was ahead of him by 3-4 car lengths from the outside. So, the morale of this tale is; she may not be much for drag racing but she can still issue out an a$$ whipping in the curves, where she belongs.Steven
    1990 M5
    2003 Land Rover DII SE7

Registered Member
    Member No: 130575 BMWE34M5 is an unknown quantity at this point BMWE34M5's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: my ///M killed by a W :

Difficult to believe that it beat you on a rolling start at 60mph.
    Were you in 2nd or 3rd gear?
    Do you have a stock chip?
    In a drag race from a stop I can understand-but from a rolling start at 60 in 2nd???

Registered Member
    Member No: 14154 m5todd is on a distinguished road m5todd's Avatar

Yes | No

Yup, M5's are not drag racers...

the best times I've had are from 100 on up -- that's where these cars shine. Run those nip-mobiles for top end. They might make 140~150 but they are no 'fun' at those speeds where your M5 is just serene and composed as you shift to 5th and take her to 170 ;>)

How do I know these things? I'm not tellin, lol...

TGW 368S #13
    '01 M Coupe SG/IRB
    '93 M5 SS/LSG

attilatheHun

Yes | No

STi r good if you want to shake your kidneys clean

Gary Hesse

Yes | No

Not surprised, if you go solely by manufacturer's data, a WRX STI has a 10% advantage of power to weight over an E34 M5. A WRX STI has 10.99 lb/hp compared to 12.19 lb/hp for the E3 4M5.

2xTurbo633, PolariSharkM635
    Member No: 2xTurbo633, PolariSharkM635's Avatar

Yes | No

Have you ever seen the aftermath of a WRX crashed

Sure be it , the cars are fast. But I would rather have the surroundings for a BMW if I was involved in a high speed crash.

KJK

Yes | No

My experience on track is that they slowly will pull my car pretty much up until 80mph+. At that point, the margin becomes smaller but they are faster. Same for the Evo. I wouldn't expect to hang with one from a light but you could stay within sniffin' distance from a roll but you better be in the right gear and take it right to the limiter.

Kevin
    '91 M5

Richard Pence

Yes | No

Re: Yup, M5's are not drag racers...

Find your WRX STI and get him up to about 110-120mph (still 4th gear for the E34 M5)and then take it to redline in 5th gear. You might be able to still see the STI in the rear mirror!

Registered Member
    Member No: 105837 95EuroM5 is an unknown quantity at this point 95EuroM5's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: STi r good if you want to shake your kidneys clean

Those STI's are pretty hot but my buddy owns one and my M takes him on all the straights but he takes me on almost all the turns. altough i have had some work done on my M.

Chris 92 Red M5

Yes | No

Race him 0-175-0mph...not many cars can top ours

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information