+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 120879 cdapp is an unknown quantity at this point cdapp's Avatar

Yes | No

Can't get rid of water spots on windshield

I washed a car in the sun and it must have dried on the windshield. I tried Invisible glass with a glass microfiber towel from CMA and it will not come out. Then I tried AIO with a white pad, also the Zaino glass polish with the white pad and PC and that still didnt work. Any ideas? I dont know why it has to be so stubborn when it happened the same day.

Registered Member
    Member No: 60341 waynejitsu is an unknown quantity at this point waynejitsu's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Can't get rid of water spots on windshield

try white vinegar...

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Wayne's Towels - For the best in MicroFiber & Detailing Supplies

Our Ultimate Plush towel is now Zaino approved!

Registered Member
    Member No: 36568 JamesS3 is an unknown quantity at this point JamesS3's Avatar

Yes | No

White Vinegar alone?

Seventy2002

Yes | No

Try 0000 steel wool and whatever window cleaner you usually use. If you can't find the 0000 grade at the big box hardware store, try a business that caters to professional painters.

Bon Ami Cleaning Powder (not Cleanser)will also do the job.

jon miller

Yes | No

Removing water spots from glass- rainwater sometimes contains alkaline minerals that alight on the paint film surface and as the water evaporates leave white `water spots' on glass surfaces.

Mineral deposits can be caused by water from a light summer shower, or a lawn sprinkler system that that dries on the glass surface leaving a calcium / sodium deposit.
    These can usually be removed by using detailer's clay to remove any hardened surface deposits, and then using a solvent type cleaner (Klasse All-In-One) for stubborn spots polish them using method (b)
    Methodology:
    •Use detailing clay to remove any `hard' surface granules
    •To dissolve the alkaline-based, surface/etched mineral water deposits try one or more of the following;
    a) 2:1 solution of distilled water/distilled white vinegar (Acetic acid)
    b) Distilled water / Isopropyl Alcohol (adjust ratio as required)
    c) Equal parts distilled water / distilled white vinegar / Isopropyl alcohol.
    •Use a clean spray bottle and 100% cotton Microfiber cloth to apply the solution to the glass surface
    •After sufficient dwell time (5-10 minutes) wipe off any residue from glass and dry with a damp waffle weave towel
    •If any `water spots' remain apply distilled white vinegar or Isopropyl alcohol un-diluted to 100% cotton Microfiber towel, using a medium/heavy pressure on glass surface.
    •If this does not remove the `water spots' use Autoglym Car Glass PolishTM and fine grade bronze wool (http://www.briwax-online.com) use straight-line motions only (circular motions cause swirl marks)
    •For stubborn water spots use Auto International's A, B, C System, a safe decontamination alkaline wash and neutralizing system (http://www.autoint.com/)

This glass cleaner (Glass Scrub™) removes insect smear, road oils, mineral deposits, lime scale, tree sap and more. A heavy-duty, cream cleanser that deep cleans auto glass safely and effectively without strong acids, alkalis, phosphates or solvents. It is specifically formulated to clean glass without scratching. The best time to use Glass Scrub is after you've washed the car but before you dry it. The glass must still be wet. I apply a small amount of product on a folded Glass Cleaning Cloth rubbing the glass in circular motions making sure to apply to all areas thoroughly. Flip the cloth to a clean dry surface and rub again. http://properautocare.com
    JonM

Registered Member
    Member No: 60341 waynejitsu is an unknown quantity at this point waynejitsu's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: White Vinegar alone? yes>>>

Several ways I successfully used is-

1- First, clean the entire windshield with your favorite cleaner and a couple of dedicated Glass MicroFiber Towels. (you will then have a clear view of what you have to work with)

2- Clay the entire windshield. (make sure not to use an aggressive clay, such as the red clay, as it could scratch the glass..., make sure to use a good, mild clay, keeping an eye on the debris it picks up)

3- 100% white distilled vinegar,
    Apply with a microfiber applicator, directly to the troubled areas.

If the applicator is not aggressive enough to remove the spots, you can use "0000" steel wool(available at most Wal Marts, Autozones, hardware stores or paint supply shops).

Next, "if" the spots are still not removed, I have had great success using-
    4- "0000" steel wool and mineral spirits. Be carefull not to drip any on the paint, trim, etc..., at it will cause damage AND use sparingly.
    As always, test in a small area (like in the corner) first just to be safe.
    (I have never had any problem, but there can always be a first time)

5-After this, clean again with the window cleaner, 2x to make sure to remove any film left behind by the mineral spirits, clay or vinegar.

6- Then, I like to use Rain-X on the outside windows.
    (you should be finished, with sparkling clean windows:)

There are a Lot of glass polishes on the market, but have never had a problem one of the above "home remedy" treatments did not take care of.
    "Special polishes" for glass can be used, but most people have the "home remedy" items in their cabinet at home and you can use the items for more than "just windows".
    Just to add..., do not use on interior glass.

Hope this helps:)

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Registered Member
    Member No: 36568 JamesS3 is an unknown quantity at this point JamesS3's Avatar

Yes | No

Yes, it helps much. Thank you.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Cool:)

all4fun

Yes | No

Best stuff out there is by FAR DP Glass Restorer, you can even use it with a buffer.

Registered Member
    Member No: 182639 jeannamar is an unknown quantity at this point jeannamar's Avatar

Yes | No

This really works! I had so many water spots on my windshild and rear window that at certain times of the day, the glare from the sun made it virtually impossible for me to see. I tried several products that promised results. Nothing. In fact, some of the products made it worse.

Jon's process does take a bit of time -- but it's worth it. I can honestly say that I am now water spot free!

Thank you Jon!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information