+ Reply to Thread
    Steven

Yes | No

Experience with Brian Jessel BMW in Vancouver?

Hello everyone,

I bought a 2004 X3 2.5 almost a year ago from BJ in Vancouver, it's a great car, only with minor issues (door/window creaking, suspension noise, loose hand break, etc) but the engine performs flawlessly and superb handling for a SAV. Since my first year service is due soon, I thought I would arrange to get all minor problems repaired at the same time. I contacted BJ to make an appointment but was told that a standard loaner would be a 320i if available (otherwise they would substitute with a cheap rental vehicle), any other requests need to go through sales. So I called my sales rep and was hoping to sign out a demo 3 liter X3 for a few hours since I'm interested of upgrading my car soon.

His response is "due to new company policy we can no longer offer such arrangements". I then spoke to customer relations, and was told that I should deal with service department directly, so it went on in circles...

I'm a bit shocked and also puzzled. Is this a typical BMW after sales service? I have read many good examples where dealers are willing to accommodate to get customer satisfaction plus it encourages customer to return for potential future purchase.

My friend was going to pick up the 255hp 330i but after my experience he is looking for another dealer with caution. I am curious to find out from owner's experience in Canada, plus which dealer would be a good choice in the lower mainland (we got 3 other local dealers)

Any comments or suggestions are gratefully appreciated,

Steven.

c.d.iesel-'76 2002,'85 R65,'02 325xiTour
    Member No: c.d.iesel-'76 2002,'85 R65,'02 325xiTour's Avatar

Yes | No

Brian Jessel BMW in Vancouver Canada

......""thought I would arrange to get all minor problems repaired at the same time. I contacted BJ to make an appointment but was told that a standard loaner would be a 320i if available (otherwise they would substitute with a cheap rental vehicle)"" = first off - the dealer IS offering you a FREE LOANER CAR -it's unreasonable of you to be 'fussy'. ......

....""any other requests need to go through sales. So I called my sales rep and was hoping to sign out a demo 3 liter X3 for a few hours since I'm interested of upgrading my car soon."" - rather than expecting the service department to supply you with a 'special' model for your extended road test/demo , simply go the normal route of having your sales rep. spend time with you in the car of your specs? under 'normal' sales demo drive condition.

....""His response is "due to new company policy we can no longer offer such arrangements". I then spoke to customer relations, and was told that I should deal with service department directly, so it went on in circles...I'm a bit shocked and also puzzled. Is this a typical BMW after sales service? I have read many good examples where dealers are willing to accommodate to get customer satisfaction plus it encourages customer to return for potential future purchase.""= apparently the sales and service departments are not together on house rules. Not BMW dealers hav'BMW" service loaners. It's not a 'required' program. Many simply use local car rental agencies.
    The damage rate of loaner cars is staggering and some dealers have given up on footing the bill, and contesting blame, on and on. Just let the local April/Hertz/ACME rental company deal with it. Thank your fellow consumer for this condition.

........"My friend was going to pick up the 255hp 330i but after my experience he is looking for another dealer with caution. I am curious to find out from owner's experience in Canada, plus which dealer would be a good choice in the lower mainland (we got 3 other local dealers). Any comments or suggestions are gratefully appreciated"" = Your friend may have totally different expectations than you or me and find their experience with B.J Vancouver totally enjoyable. They should not pre-judge and shop there as a comparision before visiting the other stores. You may have been in contact with an inexperienced employee who was not up to speed with loaner policy.... Choosing a dealer for it's Service Department is the most important aspect of your future relationship, and enjoyment of your expensive car. Your sales experience is just a fraction of the rest of your cars service life. Revisit the same dealer with your shopping friend, chat and demo drive with the Sales Dept and have fun. Often in life the treatment you recieve is a result of your own behavior.
    Driving a BMW is the best motoring experience - ULTIMATE DRIVING EXPERIENCE! Your experience with your dealer should be the same
    Give it another try.

C.D.
    ...been trying to 'please'
    motoring customers for 35 years

gaeleegirl

Yes | No

Experience with an extended test drive

It is nice to have an extended solo test drive but things can go wrong. Case in point, I was given a solo test drive in a Saab a couple of years ago. Great, I thought, no sales guy buzzing in my ear. Then the gas pedal got stuck and nothing I tried unstuck it. I was doing 60 coming off of an entrance ramp onto a crowded, rush hour highway. Soon I was doing 90 while leaning on the brake, finding the Onstar was not hooked up and I did not have my cell phone. Using the regular brake and the emergency brake, I got it down to 10 mph in the break down lane and then jammed the car into park. The car stopped in a cloud of smoke.

Whatcha wanna bet that car was damaged? Did I buy a Saab? Will I EVER buy a Saab? Don't think so. I would have liked a little company on that wild ride. I was fortunate to walk away from it--equally fortunate not to hurt anyone else in the process.

Registered Member
    Member No: 129986 x3_in_DC is an unknown quantity at this point x3_in_DC's Avatar

Yes | No

If thats your only complaint...

If your only complaint about your dealer is they won't give the specific BMW model you want as a loaner, consider yourself very lucky.

I have quite a list of issues with my dealer and the dishonest way the handled my sale -- at this point the type of car I got as a loaner would be the least of my concerns.

Steven

Yes | No

Re: Brian Jessel BMW in Vancouver Canada

- If I'm not planning to upgrade my X3 then any loaner from the dealer would be considered a great service (if available) and I won't post any complaints here.

- We got 3 other local BMW dealers so I'm interested of hearing from other owners perspective (in Vancouver) rather than bringing a friend back to the same place to get both of us screwed again. (oh believe me before I cut a deal their sales pitch was so sweet, including a flexible loaner vehicle, reasonable discounts, extra gizmos, etc) I test-drove RX330/MURANO/FX35/CR-V/FORESTER and chose X3 for its superior performance, not because of the sales talk.

- Indeed service department is the most crucial component to look after your ultimate driving machine for years to come --- so far there is no evidence to support BJ will treat my car with good care if I send it there. I await other owners to confirm this.

- I totally agree that driving X3 has been a great experience for the past year, but a good car requires a good dealer/service to support it. Don't you agree that an "ultimate driving machine + great dealer experience" = "Ultimate Driving Experience +Total Customer Satisfaction?"

- You're not affiliated with BJ by any chance? ;-)

c.d.iesel-'76 2002,'85 R65,'02 325xiTour
    Member No: c.d.iesel-'76 2002,'85 R65,'02 325xiTour's Avatar

Yes | No

I'm not w/ Brian Jessel BMW in Vancouver

...I'm way over on the right coast in Darien, CT. USA

your correct - the product is only as good as the service it receives.

my store

Steven

Yes | No

Re: If thats your only complaint (so far)...

Let's just say I was very satisfied and proud to be a first time BMW owner until my recent encounter with the dealer, I'm still very impressed with X3's performance and it's probably one of the best handling SUV/SAV in the market today... Now I am hesitated to have my car serviced by the same dealer not knowing what else would go wrong. Hopefully other local owners will respond soon so I can make some arrangements with the right dealer :-)

Steven

Yes | No

Re: I'm not w/ Brian Jessel BMW in Vancouver

Gorgeous Bimmers you have over there... In regards to BJ, I have no doubt that some will walk away as a happy customer, but that's not the case for me. Hopefully I will receive feedbacks from other local owners soon since my service is due in a few weeks :-)

allui

Yes | No

Re: Experience with Brian Jessel BMW in Vancouver?

Hi Steven,

I bought a 2004 X3 2.5 from this dealer a year ago too. I had an alarm installation and a warranty repair (door/window creaking) done by its service department. The alarm installation took much longer than the estimated time (I was told 1 to 1.5 hrs but it turned out 4hrs). I wouldn't have complained it if I weren't waiting there for the whole time. So far my experience with its service department is satisfactory. Anyway, I plan to take my car in for the first year service soon. Let's see how its service people perform this time. By the way, are you looking at upgrading your X3 to 2006 model? I really like the 2006 body coloured bumpers but I want the 255hp 3.0 engine. Oh well, maybe I wait another year.

Alex

gadusglobal

Yes | No

Brian Jessel sells BMWs because BMW is a beautiful car to show, to drive and to look at. Even then, next time around I might change, can't stand the marketing machine in Canada: shirts, caps, coffe mugs, rides home, etc.; but true customer service - NONE. Starting with Brian Jessel customer service manager, a graduate of Kingsway Car Lotes College. Can you imagine the man, in his 50s with spiky lubed bleached blond hair; on that day he actually had borrowed the son's glasses. The man lost it with me, yelling, turned is back, all in the middle of the beautiful and longggg service receptopn. The man lost badly because I told him that they had sold me a tire that I did not need. Attention BMW 2007 owners of run flat tires. Do no get a nail. Brian Jessel does not keep stock on tires, and you know on those there is no spare! It took 24 hours to get a tire that I found out elsewhere I did not need. Retuned, here is your tire that I do not need, give me my money back! OOps, what did I say?! Brian Jessel does not need your dollars, just go there and experience for yourself.

gadusglobal

Yes | No

Re: If thats your only complaint (so far)...

I am not going to dealers. There are licensed BMW service mechanics around. They usually better, you get more attention, better service, no frils though but after experience with Brian Jessel who needs frills.

RM

Yes | No

Consider yourself lucky that they will...

provide you with a BMW. Most dealers will give you a regular rental, a domestic/Japanese economy car. As far as getting to take a(ny) new car for several hours, I don't think any dealer would let you do that unless you were dead serious about buying that specific car. It's their insurance and you're putting miles on a car that someone else may be buying.

gatorsinnc

Yes | No

Re: Experience with Brian Jessel BMW in Vancouver?

your complaint is that you aren't getting the exact loaner car you requested, yet you are getting a loaner to use while your car is repaired? if this is so, then you are a spoiled human who has no sense of the suffering that goes on in this world! when i take my x3 in for repair, i am pleased to have ANY loaner they give me. come on dude!

Registered Member
    Member No: 176373 ppxyz is an unknown quantity at this point ppxyz's Avatar

Yes | No

That is quite a funny reaction.

People keep telling me that I should have taken the demo car over the weekend, taken it for an extended test drive to my home, etc. etc. because then I would not be feeling all this buyer's remorse.

I have never heard, before this experience, of a weekend test drive of a new car. Who does this? Does someone from sales come home with you?
    Who does this?

I think a loaner car program for any dealership should be with its own cars. I would find it odd that any dealership would use any other make for its own customers. Why encourage the competition? That said, a robust loaner car program is a big plus especially for a premium brand.

Unhappy

Yes | No

Brian Jessel BMW has a major problem with tires and don't seem to offer any solution, i would never bring my car here or purchase a car from them.....WASTE OF MONEY>

nomorebmwsforme

Yes | No

Brian Jessel BMW knowingly sold me a new car that had been in an accident!

Purchased a new (400kms - they told me a sales person had been driving it) - X3 from BJ BMW. Months later I was in a minor collision -someone bumped me from behind at a red light. I took it to a local collision shop where they informed me that while they had it apart - it was clear that the vehicle had been in a previous accident - substantial enough to require declaring it. They provided me with pics of the previous repairs and I took these back to BJ. First they denied, then they played it down, then they said they have no record of it being repaired. Oddly, while it was in being serviced that day - they sent it over to 'their' collision shop, where someone there accidentally noted on the service form that it had in fact been repaired there initially - before I purchased it. A copy of that was inadvertently given to me at the same time they were still denying any knowledge of any accident or repairs while their sales guy was driving it. I've since learned that this sketchy practice is commonplace in the car industry - but really expected better from BMW. They even went so far as to say - 'well, you've been in an accident in it now too, so it really doesn't matter anymore'. Can you believe that!? My response was that - a) you are obligated by law to inform me it was in an accident; b) if you had done that, I probably would not have bought that vehicle - or if I had, I would have negotiated a much lower price. I guess that's the point though isn't it. So people - my advice would be to avoid Brian Jessel BMW -- you just never know what you're going to get!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 50.98.198.74

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information