+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 12963 sbcncsu is an unknown quantity at this point sbcncsu's Avatar

Yes | No

Rear Door Panel Removal / Resealing

I had the leaky rear door panel and needed to get into it to re-seal the inner door seal. The write up on BMWTIPS.com left much to be desired so I took notes and pictures as I went. Hope this helps someone!

Rear Door Panel Removal / Inner Door Panel Re-Sealing
    (with shades)

1. First step is to remove the quarter window shade. There is a clip that holds the top of the shade in place. To remove it, slide a pick or small screwdriver in the slot to release the clip. Remove the top of the shade and slide the shade out.

2. There are four screws that secure the door panel. One is a T20 that holds the door handle in place then three Phillips:

3. Next you have to pry the clips that secure the door panel to the door out. There are 9 clips. Once these are released, you have to pull up on the door panel to release the arm rest from the door and to free the panel:

4. Disconnect the wires from the light, window switch and speaker and you are left with this:

5. To reattach the panel, you must first transfer the plastic arm rest clip from the door to the door panel. Using a pair of pliers, squeeze the metal clip on the door and pull the plastic clip from the door. Slide the plastic clip into the arm rest bracket on the back of the door panel:

6. Reposition the panel and connect the electrical connectors. Starting with top edge, thread the lock stem through the hole and press the panel clips into place. Press hard on the arm rest to reattach the clip to the door. Replace the 4 screws and you are done.
    Scott :D
    Castle Hayne, NC

01 525iA
    05 Jeep GCL
    87 Mazda B2000 Supercab Project

Registered Member
    Member No: 92390 Dens540i is an unknown quantity at this point Dens540i's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Rear Door Panel Removal / Resealing

Excellent and very useful description of how to access the rear door
    shades. Well Done!!

Registered Member
    Member No: 12963 sbcncsu is an unknown quantity at this point sbcncsu's Avatar

Yes | No

Location of the Leak and Resealing

The leak was from the lower edge of the inner door seal where the adhesive had hardened and released from the seal. There was a film of dirt and pollen that had been carried down the edge of the door by the water. In this picture, I have already cleaned off the hardened adhesive and wiped the dirt from the lower edge of the door:

I used 3M weather strip adhesive to reattach the inner door seal:

Castle Hayne, NC

01 525iA
    05 Jeep GCL

Registered Member
    Member No: 115357 Hitdog40 is on a distinguished road Hitdog40's Avatar

Yes | No

Great post...just got done with the fix...Thanks..

JimLev!

'03 540i/6
    Sterling Gray/Black
    CDV Delete c/o JimLev
    BMWCCA Member - Boston Chapter

Unregistered

Yes | No

Thank you!

This was exceptionally helpful for me. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by sbcncsu View Post
    I had the leaky rear door panel and needed to get into it to re-seal the inner door seal. The write up on BMWTIPS.com left much to be desired so I took notes and pictures as I went. Hope this helps someone!

Rear Door Panel Removal / Inner Door Panel Re-Sealing
    (with shades)

1. First step is to remove the quarter window shade. There is a clip that holds the top of the shade in place. To remove it, slide a pick or small screwdriver in the slot to release the clip. Remove the top of the shade and slide the shade out.

2. There are four screws that secure the door panel. One is a T20 that holds the door handle in place then three Phillips:

3. Next you have to pry the clips that secure the door panel to the door out. There are 9 clips. Once these are released, you have to pull up on the door panel to release the arm rest from the door and to free the panel:

4. Disconnect the wires from the light, window switch and speaker and you are left with this:

5. To reattach the panel, you must first transfer the plastic arm rest clip from the door to the door panel. Using a pair of pliers, squeeze the metal clip on the door and pull the plastic clip from the door. Slide the plastic clip into the arm rest bracket on the back of the door panel:

6. Reposition the panel and connect the electrical connectors. Starting with top edge, thread the lock stem through the hole and press the panel clips into place. Press hard on the arm rest to reattach the clip to the door. Replace the 4 screws and you are done.
    Castle Hayne, NC

01 525iA
    05 Jeep GCL
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 24.6.180.52

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information