+ Reply to Thread
    HurtinUnit

Yes | No

Do I need winter tires in Calgary?

I have pilot sport 2s on my 98 M3 right now.

I don't drive it every day, I walk to work. I can afford to leave the car parked for a week or two if I needed to stretch.

Once the snow gets here, does it stick or no?

Registered Member
    Member No: 29953 BMWguy22 is an unknown quantity at this point BMWguy22's Avatar

Yes | No

can't hurt

esp on high tq RWD cars.
    I recall my 1st BMW, an 86 325es. I put a set of realy good, quiet all seasons on it in the fall, and by winter i found myself struggling to get over speedbumps in icy parking lots (no joke, i was outside a Canadian Tire in Regina Sask.)
    88 Delphine grey 325is
    ALUMINUM BUMPER APPRECIATION ASSOCIATION (ABAA)
    Membership ID (00013)

Registered Member
    Member No: 73627 bpepper19 is an unknown quantity at this point bpepper19's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Do I need winter tires in Calgary?

I didn't put them on my M for the first two winters I had it but I did last winter and it is so much better. I could always drive my truck but I thought why? I spend hours a day in it, I need something different to drive around the city.

In short, I figured they were cheaper than summer tires so I wasn't really losing. I may buy some new rims next spring for summer anyways so I won't have to swap the tires every time.

They actually get around pretty good with the winter tires. If you've ever driven on Pilot Sports in the winter you will scare yourself or wreck for sure.

HurtinUnit

Yes | No

haha, yeah happened to me three weeks ago

up in the crowsnest pass on my way to sparwood BC. Wasn't fun.

I'll pick up a set of rears at the least I think.

When do you put yours on?

Registered Member
    Member No: 73627 bpepper19 is an unknown quantity at this point bpepper19's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: haha, yeah happened to me three weeks ago

Get fronts too, you won't be able to steer or stop. I will put them on probably late Oct. depending on the weather, maybe later.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: haha, yeah happened to me three weeks ago

I've gotten the last two sets of tires from Tunerworks but I'll get my next set from Tirerack.com

HurtinUnit

Yes | No

Yeah I still have fronts from last winter -->

I will probably pick up a set of blizzaks or P-sport alpines in the next few weeks. Thanks

Registered Member
    Member No: 109728 cellman is an unknown quantity at this point cellman's Avatar

Yes | No

Nokians are pretty good too, so I've heard...

Saying that, I don't drive my M3 in winter so don't have any experience. I have a beater for winter duty, which coincidentally has pissed me off today. Just found out that my beater's radiator was leaking coolant and it cost me $680 to replace! Damnit, I just spent $1200 two weeks ago getting other stuff fixed! Arghhh!

c e l l m a n

9. 2004 M3
  10. Mystic Blue
  11. Black Nappa
  12. Non smoker pkg
  13. DVD Navigation
  14. Warning triangle
  15. Harman/Kardon
  16. Euro storage
  17. First Aid kit
  18. Bluetooth
  19. Sunroof
  20. UGDO
  21. 19"

Registered Member

Yes | No

I've heard they're ok. Get some soon, the Pilots

tend to sell out quick. I had to get Pirelli's last year.

Jim Cash

Yes | No

Re: Do I need winter tires in Calgary?

Since the last I heard you do get winter in Calgary - and maybe soon then the answer is YES.

PS2's are strictly a summer only performance tire. In addition to the wrong tread for snow, the compound is not suitable for cold temperatures and is therefore not as sticky on bare pavement in the winter as it is in the summer.

Best to get a set of winter wheels - cheapest way is with a set of steel wheels and snow tires that can (and perhaps should) be a size smaller than your summer tires. Narrower and higher is always better in winter conditions and is usually cheaper. You can probably economise further by getting an H speed rated tire as long as you will be keeping your speed under that rating (not really a problem in most weather let alone winter)

And get all 4 - you never want to have different traction capabilities at the different ends of your car. You use the fronts for braking and steering.

Cheers
    Jim Cash

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information